Chapter 24

Arlo and Alona had stayed up late eating and talking. She found out Arlo was 26 years old; only 4 years older than her, she had thought he was at least 6 years older than her.

She had eaten every last bit of the dinner he had cooked.

Arlo had sent her to bed when her eyelids began to droop.

Alona was happy to sleep in a bed again, even if it did smell like dirt and the blanket was itchy. 

Arlo had retreated upstairs to his room after she had gone to bed. He had to contact Drew and let him know he was back.

Arlo wrote him a quick letter and sent it through the automatic mailing system. This was one thing that Arlo had been impressed by in the Rebel City; the mailing system was one way they eliminated intercepted messages, his pipe traveled straight to Drew. 

A few minutes later a letter swooped down through the pipe. Arlo opened it and read what he replied.

Arlo,
It is good to have you back. As you can see our numbers have grown. We are preparing for war. It a matter of weeks our army will storm the castle and will take control of the castle. Word had been sent that the break in the surface is clear. We may be able to resurface. This news will be checked as soon as the monarchy has fallen. A new life awaits us. I hope to see you help us take it by force.
Drew.
P.S.- I want to meet this girl.

War. The surface. New life. He couldn't believe that they were planning on taking the capital. He wondered if the Rebel City had really grown that much.

He would fight for the Rebels, but he wondered if Alona would.

----

Alona woke in the middle of the night to a loud banging. She opened her door and stood at the top of the stairs. She jumped as someone began banging on the door again.

Arlo's door jerked open. He stepped out into the hallway, he held a pistol in his hand. Arlo was surprised to see Alona in his shirt and shorts, he had forgotten he had left them in the dresser drawer in her now room. Her hair was actually down, something that didn't happen often; she kept her hair pulled into a ponytail most of the time.

"Someone's at the door." She said, confused.

Arlo passed her and jogged down the stairs.

Alona stayed back. She didn't feel right.

Arlo opened the door, keeping the pistol out of sight.

"We are here for the girl." She heard a deep voice say.

"What do you want with her?" Arlo asked. He kept a firm grip on the door.

"She needs to be interrogated." Another voice said. "We can't just let anyone into the city. We have to make sure she's not in favor of the monarch."

Arlo's knuckles were white, "We have a meeting with Drew tomorrow." Arlo slammed the door shut, causing the brick house to rattle.

Alona jumped at the bang. 

Arlo stomped up the stairs. She backed out of his way. He stopped in front of her.

"Officials." He explained, "These people don't trust anyone. Especially a Volkov and a stranger." He said irritated.

"I understand." Alona said quietly.

She turned and headed back to her room, "Goodnight." She said.

He nodded at her.

Alona left the door cracked. She climbed into her bed, frowning. She had hoped getting to the Rebel city would take away all her worries. It seemed even here she needed to worry. She couldn't rest just yet. These people didn't trust her or Arlo.

----

Arlo woke about an hour after the officers left to a sudden scream.

He jumped out of his bed, afraid someone was trying to take Alona. He sprinted down the hallway and threw open her door.

She was thrashing in her bed. She looked like she was fighting someone in her sleep.

He stood next to her bed and grabbed her wrist.

"Alona. Alona!" He shook her awake.

She jumped up in the bed, immediately grabbing her shoulder in pain. 

"You were having a nightmare." He said.

She nodded, as she checked her shoulder wound. A soft light outside the window made the room visible.

He could see Alona had been crying, "That's been happening a lot here lately."

She scooted back against the headboard.

"You going to be alright?" He asked unsure if he should leave her alone. She could injure her shoulder even more if she had another nightmare.

"Yeah." She pulled the blanket up under her chin.

He watched her for a moment.

"Would it help if I stayed for a bit?" He asked unsure of what to do.

She wiped a stray tear, "It might." She replied quietly.

He scooted up next to her, sitting with his back against the headboard.

She laid her head on his shoulder, which surprised Arlo. Her eyes were bloodshot, signs of exhaustion. 

She laid down on the bed. Arlo laid down next to her, but still propped himself up.

She closed her eyes, finally giving in to her weariness. Arlo watched as she fell asleep. She seemed scared to, scared of what awaited her in her dreams. 

He wondered how she would take it knowing a war was coming. He wondered if she would understand why they had to fight, or if she would be supportive. He was certain she would be against the monarchy.

She was so alone in this world, she didn't know anyone besides him, in a way, she needed him. As much as he hated to admit it, he needed her too. She seemed to calm him without even knowing it. He enjoyed being around her, unlike anyone else.

----

Don't forget to vote please! 

Sawyer :p