Chapter 18

They stood there looking at each other. His fingers had become intertwined with hers. His hand completely engulfed hers.

It was strange, Alona forgot her terror from a few seconds before. She forgot how her skull ached from the final bounce of her head.

"¿Quién eres?" They heard someone yell in Spanish above them. Arlo released Alona's hand and looked up.

"Is he speaking Spanish?" Alona asked, looking at the man halfway hanging out the window.

Arlo replied back, "Jonas? It's me, Arlo! We fell!" 

The man waved his arm about and disappeared into the window.

They walked to the back of the building and a sliding door opened. The man stepped through. He had a very neat mustache and a goatee.

He was older than them but not by much. He wore the same type of clothes as a monk would wear, the big pants and the simple shirt. It was very clean and white.

"Oh. I see you haven't already used the bathhouse." He pointed out.

"No. We haven't." Arlo answered he smiled softly, "Its good to see you, Jonas."

The man motioned them inside. "Always a pleasure to see you, Arlo. Come. I'll get you some clean clothes." He said.

He ushered them inside and basically pushed them down the hall. He showed them into a room and closed the door behind him.

"Where have you been my friend?" The man sat down in a chair. He gestured for them to sit down on the couch across from him.

"Thank you, but I think we'll sit down after we have bathed." Arlo replied. 

Alona nodded, agreeing with him.

"I was busy." Arlo answered with a smirk.

"I believe you." The man winked and pulled open a drawer and revealed a pack of cigarettes. He lit it one and took a puff.

"Who do you have with you? This your other girlfriend?" The man winked at Alona and took another puff. Alona blushed, surprised by his charm.

Arlo cleared his throat, "No. She's just with me until we get her to the Rebel City."

Alona's heart seemed to freeze. She hadn't thought of what would happen to her after they got to the city, her only focus had been on actually getting there. She wondered if Arlo would dump her with someone and then take off. Probably back to his hole in the ground or off to kill another king.

"Well, that's a shame." He tapped the ashes off his cigar, "What's your name, pretty girl?"

"Alona." She answered plainly. She tried to untangle a piece of her hair that was caught in the earring in her ear. She had always wanted to get the tops of her ears pierced. 

She thought of the red-haired man and his cold hands holding her ear.

"Nice to meet you, Alona. I'm Jonas. I run the bathhouse and an underground supply of weapons to our rebel friends." He smiled and stuck out his hand. Alona shook it and smiled halfheartedly back.

"You are welcome anytime my dear." He smiled.

"Thank you." Alona smiled back.

"Now then, let's get you cleaned up and headed on your way." He stood and led them into the hallway.

Jonas led them through the hallways and to a door. It had no handle only a square box that seemed to glow red. He flashed a small card at the door and the box glowed green. The door, then, slid open.