Chapter 26

"Oh." Drew paused and glanced at Alona, "We are going to war."

Alona stared at Drew then looked at Arlo. He watched her carefully as if she was going to bust at any second.

"And you have Arlo a position? That's good, right?" She was slightly surprised. She figured that they were already at war with the castle, but she now assumed it was never official.

She was angry at Arlo. He was keeping things from her. She wondered if they were in this together. Maybe they weren't. Maybe this was the part where he dumped her in the Rebel City and she went out on her own.

She had been so caught up in her thoughts that she had missed what Drew said.

They stared at her.

"Sorry, what?" She asked.

"Arlo is taking a position in my army. He'll be over a small assassination group. They will infiltrate before we attack so that we will have men already on the inside of the castle." Drew smiled at the end, a smile of hope and pride.

"If I accept." Arlo said.

Drew frowned, "Why wouldn't you? You are a great soldier and an amazing assassin. We're lucky to have you. A Volkov." His smile returned.

Arlo glanced at Alona. She wondered if she were the reason for him not accepting right away.

"What about me?" Alona asked.

"Well." Drew cleared his throat, "I could find you a job here in town."

"I mean with the war coming." She would not sit around waiting for Arlo to return if he did. She would help and she would not be told no.

"Alona we need soldiers. I understand you want to help but-" Drew was cut off by Arlo.

"I can train her." Arlo said, shrugging.

Alona and Drew both looked at him.

Drew didn't look convinced, "Are you sure? It's going to be very dangerous."

Arlo nodded, "If all else fails she can be on the ship when we fly in, communications or co-pilot, something like that."

Alona watched Arlo. How could he keep things from her and at the same time believe that she could be a part of his team?

"Alright, but if you don't believe she is ready by the time the first shot is fired then she'll be staying here." Drew said.

"That's fine." Arlo agreed and Alona nodded, too. She wouldn't mind learning to shoot correctly. She didn't understand why she wasn't freaking out over the idea of being in a war. She was scared, definitely, but she felt she needed to be a part of this.

"Great!" Drew clapped his hands together, "Who's hungry?" He smiled.

----

They ate in the room next to Drew's office. There was a buffet of food. Alona ate only the things she recognized.

She would be horrified if she bit into something that looked alright only to find out it was some kind of giant grub worm.

As they were beginning to leave Arlo reached into his back pocket and revealed the note.

He handed it to Drew, "You know how I handle these things, but since this is your town I will respect your rules and allow you to handle this."

Drew unfolded the note and read it, his brow creased together. He glanced at Alona then looked to Arlo.

"I will handle this immediately." His tone was deeper. He was angry.

They turned and left Drew's office.

When they were back to Arlo's place, Alona fixed herself a glass of water. She was still frustrated. She didn't care that he was trying to protect her. She was involved, she needed to know.

She looked up at him, "I don't know how you expect me to learn from you, or even trust you, if you don't even involve me in the simple things like 'oh yeah, by the way, this rebel town we are going to is going to war.' Or what a freaking letter that was sent to me says. Whether it's bad or not." She mimicked his deep voice and stiff posture.

"I was trying to protect you." He replied with a small hint of anger.

She locked eyes with him, "What a load of shit."

He stayed quiet. He couldn't believe this girl. She had seen him kill men with his bare hands and she was challenging him.

"It was a threat. They threatened to kill you if you didn't leave. Drew will handle it. He always does." He crossed his arms.

She waited expectantly.

"I didn't know about the war until we arrived here." He said.

She turned and picked up her glass. She dropped it off in the sink as she left the kitchen and went to her room.

Arlo watched as she made her way upstairs. She closed the door behind her.

He had told her the truth, he didn't understand why she still upset with him. He wiped his hand across his face. He didn't understand humans. Volkov women were much more simple.

He climbed the stairs to her room, he had to make things right.

----

She sat on her bed sorting through the photos she had taken. She was planning on writing descriptions about each on and create an album. 

She heard three taps. She rolled her eyes but didn't answer. 

He knocked again, this time harder. He must have figured she didn't hear him. She didn't answer again.

"Alona." He called.

"What?" She replied sarcastically. She was fully aware of how bratty she was acting.

He let himself in. She sat on the bed with her back to the door.

"I was serious about training you. I know it won't be easy, but-"

"I can do it." She said. "I'm not some wounded animal Arlo. I can handle it." Okay, maybe she was a little wounded. Her shoulder was literally throbbing at her yelling.

"Listen, the only reason I didn't tell you was because you were already having nightmares I didn't want it to get worse." He wished she would understand.

"I don't need to be babied! I can handle more than you think! I'm not a child!" She yelled as she got up on her knees. The pain in her shoulder intensified.

"I don't want anything to happen to you!" He exploded. His eyes full of rage.

She watched him, then sat back on her butt. He brushed his hand through his hair, obviously flustered. She held her shoulder, it was throbbing so badly.

He turned and left the room without looking at her.

She sighed, she was acting ridiculous. It was obvious he cared for her. She threw her head back. She felt like shit. 

----

Sawyer :)