Chapter 10

Alona stood there staring at him, bewildered by him.

He frowned. "My people have heightened senses compared to you humans."

Alona bit her lip and nodded.

He tossed her a pistol. "Stay here. I'll be back." She caught it and stared at the small, black, bloodthirsty piece of metal.

He opened the massive door and strode out into the darkness.

Alona was going to ask where he was going and what he planned on doing with that gun, but she didn't get a chance.

She sat on the couch and did the only thing she could, she waited. She wanted to follow after him, but she was too scared. 

Arlo walked silently down the long corridor. He knew that there were few people up there. He would wait and see if they found his hideout, and if they did he would take care of them.

He stopped at the bottom of the ladder, where the shadows cloaked him. He listened for the intruders.

He leaned against the wall, closing his eyes so he could focus on his other senses. He could smell the rich Earth around him, full of life and growth. He always loved that about Earth, it was always growing. Even when fires destroyed or tsunamis washed over the land, the Earth kept growing. 

He listened to their faint footsteps. There was at least four of them, maybe five. They seemed to be circling the area in an odd pattern. They could be scavengers, he told himself. He hoped they were nothing more than simple scavengers. Or nomads. Hell, they could be murderers for all he cared, as long as they didn't find them.

----

Alona stared at the door, it had been awhile. She was worried. She had already cracked the door three times trying to listen for any sign of Arlo still being alive. She hadn't heard any gunfire so that was a good thing.

She paced in front of the door. She stared at the handgun she had left on the coffee table. Could she use that if she needed to? Could she honestly bring herself to shoot someone?

She collapsed onto the couch, which sent pain shooting through her torso. She lifted her shirt revealing the damage. Her rib cage was purple and black, she assumed it was from the guard's kicks. She was absolutely covered in bruises and small cuts. She was sore everywhere. Her ankle was swollen and her wrist throbbed.

----

Arlo listened as the over head footsteps drew near the secret door. He pulled his rifle into his right shoulder and prepared himself. He heard soft laughter as the men passed by above him. Then he heard singing. No wonder they were circling, they're drunk. He smiled to himself, figures why he could smell them from such a distance.

Still, he waited until they were long gone to leave his post.

"Well. I guess we'll get a laugh out of this." He told the darkness.

----

She stood and listened to the door. She held the pistol in her right hand, even though her wrist begged her not to.

She had fired a gun a couple of times, they frightened her at their power. She couldn't trust them.

She was ripped from her thoughts when she heard the center metal wheel begin turning, someone was opening the door. She grasped the pistol in her hand and lifted it. She aimed at the door, waiting for whoever entered. The creaking metal door gradually opened as her palms began to sweat.

Arlo's head popped into view as he pushed the door fully open. His expression changed from amusement to surprise in an instant.

Alona lowered the gun.

"What happened?" She asked Arlo as he placed his rifle on the coffee table.

"Just a few drunkards lost their way." He smirked, "Probably been out scavenging all day. They were singing, laughing, and making fools of themselves."

Alona smirked then nodded. "People have to scavenge? Aren't there stores around here?"

Arlo shook his head. "Whenever we fell into this dictatorship they destroyed every business that wasn't owned by the King. Eventually it was passed that either you work for the King or you don't get food or water. No more businesses." He cleared his throat. "But there are ways around it. I am currently ripping off his water supply." He said with a grin.

Alona watched as Arlo's pride made him swell up like a balloon. She almost laughed at his happiness but thought it best not to. He might take it wrong. Instead she let him puff his chest out like a bird and be proud of himself.

They sat in the kitchen. Arlo lost in his prideful thoughts and Alona lost in her worry.

"What're we going to do?" Alona whispered, mostly to herself.

"I'll take you to the other side of the Dead Zone, there we can meet up with go into the Rebel City and... well try and get you home." Arlo said as he unlaced his boots.

Alona nodded. Home, she thought. "The Dead Zone?"

"It's an old broken down town, people don't go there anymore because of the king. On the other side are the homes of several rebel groups. We fight for the same cause, to bring the king down." Arlo answered. 

"But I saw the king killed." Her voice felt weak mentioning the king.

"There will be more. We've killed several kings. There's always a replacement. No matter how much security they have we always infiltrate and take him out." He opened the cabinet and pulled two glasses down, "We're trying to form a better plan to reshape this society but..."

He opened the cabinet and pulled two glasses down.

"But these sick people like the way it is. They like to be ordered around like cattle. They like treating women like meat. They like not thinking for themselves." Arlo's voice was full of anger and disgust.

"We'll head for the Dead Zone tonight. You should get some rest." Arlo left the room and went into the bathroom.

Alona didn't want to venture out into this world yet. She wanted to hide away and ignore the problems she was yet to face. But she knew she didn't have a choice. She had to fight through it.

"Rebels " she thought aloud, "Great."

----

Sawyer. :)