Chapter 29

As soon as they were inside Arlo turned to her, "Stay here." He glanced around the house, "I'm going to check out the house."

He pulled his pistol from the holster on his thigh then cocked it. Then he headed for the kitchen. Alona pulled out two of her knives, she shook her head, it was a good thing she was freshly taught on how to use them.

Arlo walked silently out of the dark kitchen and into the living room.

She glanced up the small staircase, she would be ready if anyone came down while Arlo was searching.

After checking the living room and small kitchen, he silently crept up the stairs. He slid into Alona's room and moved inside. She listened for any movement.

She watched him come out of her room. His face was serious and his eyes were set on his bedroom door.

He slowly pushed the door open. He doubted anyone would be in the house. If they were smart, they would've bailed immediately. He pushed open his closet and checked it. He pushed open the bathroom door. He slid the shower curtain open. Nothing.

He lowered his gun and walked to the door. He heard a small TICK as he was leaving the room.

He stopped, then turned around. He looked down at the bed, the opening underneath could fit a small person.

He took the safety off his gun.

In one swift movement, he flipped the entire bed and aimed at the intruder.

On the floor, cowering in the fetal position, was a kid who Arlo assumed was about 16; his blonde hair hid most of his face.

He grabbed him up by the front of his shirt and slammed him against the wall. The boy let out a short scream that was cut off by Arlo slamming the breath out of him. The fear in his eyes rolled onto his face in big, fat tears. 

Arlo heard Alona run into the room.

"Who are you?" Arlo growled.

"I-I'm s-sorry. I-I d-didn't k-know anyone l-lived here." He grabbed at Arlo's hand and eyeballed the gun in his other.

"Bullsh-" Arlo barked.

"Why are you in here?" Alona cut him off as she walked up behind him.

The boy looked over at her, "I have been staying here for awhile. I really didn't know anyone lived here anymore." Arlo lowered him and let his feet touch the ground.

"Then what about the paint?" He kept him against the wall.

The blonde headed boy scrunched up his face, tears streaming down his face, "What paint?"

Arlo slammed him against the wall, "Don't play stupid!" His entire body cringed at Arlo yelling.

He cried out, "Please! I don't know what you mean! I had nowhere to go! Please! Please!" He began crying harder.

Alona watched as the scrawny boy shook with sobs. It was obvious he was underfed; his arms were thin, too thin, and his clothes engulfed him.

Alona pulled on Arlo's elbow, "Can I speak to you a minute?" She whispered.

Arlo turned and looked at her. He let go of the boy and he slid down the wall.

The stepped right outside the door, "What do we do?" She asked.

"Turn him in." He said plainly.

"Yeah because the officials are all about justice. Let's at least feed him. Look at him, he hasn't eaten in days." They looked over at him. "Or bathed."