Chapter 40

Alona stood outside the room. It was decided that Alona shouldn't be in the room while they "convinced" Ky to relieve any information she had to them. 

Honestly, Alona didn't want to be in there. Alona could still hear her screams and whimpers. She thought back to their girl's night. Ky had seemed to normal. She seemed unconcerned with the upcoming war. 

Arlo opened the door then stepped out. He stood next to her, "Want to get some air?" He asked.

Alona nodded. She couldn't take the sounds of Ky screams much more.

They walked outside. Several soldiers and Officials patrolled outside. They sat on a short brick wall.

"Sorry about your friend." He said.

She shook her head, "It's like you said... I barely knew her."

----

Alona couldn't sleep. There were too many thoughts going through her head. Every time she closed her eyes, she saw the soldier she had killed with the knife or the black-eyed man she had shot. 

She had dozed off once, only to be jerked awake by the man, covered in thick, black veins, running at her.

Drew stepped out from the back room, following him were Greg, Vadik, and Pasha along with the other soldier who had been in the room. 

Drew was wiping his hands off in a rag. He pointed towards the door and gave a command to the soldier. 

The soldier went and gathered the men from outside. 

"Wake everyone up." Drew ordered.

Once Drew had everyone's attention he stood at the podium at the front of the church. He leaned against it, the fate of the world seemed to be weighing on his shoulders. 

"The traitor has given up everything she knows about the King's plan of attack." Drew began.

"DEATH TO THE TRAITOR!" Someone in the back yelled, followed by shouts of approval.

Drew held up his hand, "She has bargained for her life." He paused, "She will be exiled and branded."

Shouts of agreement rose over the crowd.

Drew raised his hand again, "In a few hours, the King will launch an attack on our city." He pointed towards the room that held Ky, "She has given us plenty of information to counterattack their plan." He stepped out from behind the podium, "What the King doesn't know is that when he attacks we will already be gone!" He raised his hands into the air, "Now gather your belongings, gather your friends, gather your supplies and let's go kill a king!" 

The room erupted into cheers and yelling. 

Soon people began gathering their belongings. 

Drew waved them over again, "We leave in 45 minutes. I need you to help escort these people to the evacuation tunnels."

Arlo nodded and threw on his backpack. Alona picked up her bag and followed him.

"This way to the evac tunnels!" Soldiers outside began shouting orders as Arlo led them to the waste dump. Arlo and another soldier pulled a dumpster from its position beside a rock wall. Under the dumpster was a concrete square. Several more soldiers helped Arlo heave the concrete from its spot. Under the concrete was a metal panel. 

Arlo clicked on an LED flashlight a soldier handed him and peered down the hole. More soldiers began handing out flashlights. 

Alona followed behind Arlo after he climbed down the ladder.