Chapter 23

The nurse wouldn't allow Arlo in to see Alona.

He was getting angry. He paced around the room, impatiently. All of the other people in the waiting room glanced his way every now and then. He figured they were waiting for him to explode.

He was the only Volkov in the waiting room.

He had gotten the bullet removed from his arm and the wound stitched up. Now all he wanted to do was check on Alona.

He watched the nurse enter Alona's room and then leave a few minutes later. She walked to the desk. He knew her from the previous times he had been patched up at the shabby hospital. 

She glanced up at him. Arlo could've sworn he saw her roll her eyes.

"How is she?" He asked.

"She just woke up, and she's exhausted Arlo. She needs rest. She lost a lot of blood. How about you go out and get your place ready." She looked back at the screen.

She obviously wasn't going to let him in. He didn't reply. He walked out of the hospital. She had a point though, his place was probably covered in dust and filth. He turned right and headed down the street.

The streets were packed with people. The city had grown since he left. That was definitely good for the Rebels. He wondered how well the new recruits were doing. It seemed the army was expanding or trying to; posters were hung on every building, inviting people to come join.

He should go see Drew; he was sort of like the mayor of the city. He and a few other people had found the hidden bunker under the bridge in the Dead Zone, that had founded the city. From the bunker, they dug into the ground and found a network of caves. They had reinforced they caves with scrap metal they found in the Dead Zone or from the castle's ships they shot down. In the end, they had built a city under an empty town.  

Drew had been very understanding of Arlo; he had given Arlo a chance when others didn't think it was such a good idea.

The street was lined with new buildings that Arlo didn't recognize. He also noticed men in blue uniforms; it seemed the "Officials" were finally into play. The Officials were meant to be like police, but also guards. There was no guarantee outsiders couldn't find a different way to get inside. 

He smirked at a few of his old trainees standing around the entrance of the city. Brand recognized him and waved at Arlo. Scott, the other guy Arlo had also trained, noticed who he was and waved too. He nodded back, smirking at the pride he could see radiating off of them.

Arlo turned right again down his muddy street. He was relieved to see it hadn't changed much, metal huts and brick buildings were scattered along the street. He pulled his keys out of his bag and stuck in the key to the door. He twisted it and opened the door.

He was thankful Drew hadn't given away his place.

He removed the key and stepped inside. He was lucky to get a place to himself. He figured Drew had something to do with that but then again people weren't fond of Volkovs.

Arlo looked around the dusty kitchen. He walked upstairs to his room. He opened the door. It was strange to see his place so untouched. He went back downstairs.

"Where to begin?" He walked into the kitchen and pulled a broom, mop, and an old rag out of the cupboard.

He began sweeping.

He couldn't believe he was cleaning, a lethal killer, an assassin, a soldier. Sweeping.

----

Alona was already sick and tired of the hospital. The nurse was unbearably happy. The food was funky.