Chapter 28

Arlo woke her up early. Too early. Alona was sure that above ground the sun was not up yet.

She pulled on her pants and a black tank top. They were beginning training today. Arlo was worried about her shoulder, but Alona had convinced him she would be careful. 

She took her pistol case and her knife set along with her.

She jogged down the stairs in her new shoes Arlo had bought. She still didn't understand why almost all of the clothes she found had some part of them that glowed. The bottom of her tennis shoes glowed light green and blue.

She reached the bottom of the stairs as soon as Arlo was stepping out of the kitchen. He wasn't dressed like he normally had been. He looked like a normal citizen of Treeon.

She couldn't help but laugh when he pulled on his tennis shoes, they glowed green on the bottom.

"What?" He asked, smiling.

"Why does everything glow?" She asked pointing to their shoes and jackets. On her jacket the lining of the inside of their jackets glowed a light blue.

He shrugged, "There's no natural light down here." He slipped on his black jacket. The blue glow reflected off his tattoos as he slipped his arm through.

She shook her head and put on her white jacket.

He took her weapon cases and placed them in his backpack.

"So first, cardio." He grinned.

She groaned, "I'm going to die."

Arlo made her jog the entire way to the gym and Alona made him stop frequently so she could catch her breath.

When they arrived at the gym Alona was entirely grateful. Her lungs couldn't take much more of the cold air. The smell of smoke filled the Rebel City, around every corner it seemed was a rusted barrel with a burning fire inside. 

Arlo held the door for her as she entered. As soon as they crossed the threshold people were staring. Mouths opened when they saw Arlo. He grabbed Alona's hand and led her to a room off to the side. It was small and the entire floor was a squishy mat.

There were punching bags hanging at one end of the room, surrounded by targets shaped like people.

Her stomach felt uneasy from her nerves. She was glad they didn't eat if they did it would be all over the mat.

She hadn't thought about the fact that she would actually have to kill people. Arlo had done it. She had seen him do it. Multiple times. She wasn't sure that she actually could kill someone.

"Alright, so self-defense first." He walked to the center of the room and took his stance.

Alona smirked she had already had self-defense classes. She would have a little fun with this.

Arlo took his stance, "Place your feet like this." She copied him, "And your arms like this." She mimicked his arms and stance.

"So that if I come around you like this." He moved behind her and put his arm around her neck.

She grabbed his arm and pulled him forward. He wasn't prepared so she easily flipped him over her shoulder. He slammed down onto his back, his mouth hanging open in pure surprise. The guys in the corner stopped punching and watched as Arlo flew through the air. They laughed as Arlo laid on the mat in shock. She laughed along with them, rubbing her hurting shoulder as she laughed.

He bounced up on his feet, "Wait. What?"

She shrugged her shoulders, "Is that not what I'm supposed to do?" She feigned innocence.