"He doubled back a few times, but that where we last saw him run off to." The second said.

"Secure the perimeter." Luke ordered. "He may still be on the scene."

They nodded and left.

"Hemmings!" A voice shouted and Luke groaned when he saw a reporter.

"Is it true your little thief got past you again? This would be the 16th time, am I right?" He asked, holding out a microphone.

"No comment." Luke replied, striding past. "Get off my crime scene."

"Ooh, sassy aren't we? I'm taking that as a yes." The reporter grinned.

"Mr. Davenport, escort that man off my crime scene." Luke ordered a security guard.

The guard nodded and walked off. The reporter got wide eyes and ran off with the camera man.

Luke sighed and climbed into his car, resting his arms on the wheel.

He had move to this city three years ago and became the city's best cop, and the youngest. And then this arrogant little thief came up and ruined his ego.

Luke didn't get it, why could he never catch Ashton?

How did he slip past him sixteen times in a row? Why was it just Ashton too? No one else had ever gotten past him, what made Ashton so special?

"Sir." Someone knocked on the window and Luke rolled it down.

"Yeah?"

"Perimeter secure, he's not here." The man reported. Luke sighed. "Alright. Go home Pat, there's nothing else to do here."

Pat nodded. "Okay. Sorry about him getting away again." Luke glared. "Go home Pat."

Pat backed away and Luke turned the keys in the ignition.

He drove home, tapping his fingers on the wheel to the song on the radio.

One day, tomorrow maybe, he would catch Ashton. So help him God.

-

Ashton sat on the roof of the building next to the jewelry store he had just robbed. He laughed out loud when he saw Luke pout in his car.

"Aw, sorry babe. Maybe one day I'll let you catch me." He smiled. "But having you chase me is much more fun."

He stood up and stretched. "See you tomorrow baby." He put the glittery necklace over his neck. "This is pretty, so glad I stole it." He admired the rings on his fingers before jumping onto a lower platform of the building and then to the ground, shoving his hands in his pockets and keeping his head down as he walked past the jewelry store.

He smiled.

-

Luke pulled into his driveway tiredly.

He unlocked his front door and took his shoes off, locking the door behind him again.

He collapsed onto his bed. "Tomorrow. At the park. He won't get past me again." Luke narrowed his eyes at the ceiling. "He won't."

-

Luke sat on a bench in the park the next day. He scanned the park, but no one was suspicious looking.

He sighed and looked at his watch. One more hour and then he would call it quits.

Someone sat on the bench behind him. "Hey there."

"Hi." Luke grumbled, not in the mood to talk to strangers.

"Whoa, someone's in a bad mood." The person chuckled.