Chapter 30

"Ma I was working late. The cab left, so my boss is giving me a ride to dorm". I complete.

   "Oh ok. Isn't your boss the grumpy young man, what's his name.... Uh.... Arjun! Arjun right?". She asks whispering. I chuckle. I can see from the corner of my eye Arjun eyeing me too.

   "Yeah. Ok, I'll call you back later. Bye". I say and cut the call.

  "Thank you. That was my mom. She calls me daily and if I don't pick I'll be in trouble". I say and hand him the phone back. He takes it from me and places it in the dashboard.

   "Mmhmmmm". Is all he says. The ride is all quiet again.

    "How are your friends?". I hear him ask after what feels like an eternity. "How's she, the one who was so drunk?". Uh hah... So all this is about her.

    I shouldn't have, but I couldn't control it. I giggled. "Uh, Alicia? Yeah she's fine". I say.

   "Did I ask something funny?". He asks in a not so funny way.

   I straighten myself and answer him. "No. It's just". "Just what?". He cuts me off and questions. Oh God!

    "It's just obvious. I can't help noticing". I say.

    "What's obvious? Noticing what?". He questions before even I breathe.

    "That you like her". I utter.

   "What?. What made you think that?". He questions again bewildered. Am I wrong about this?

     "I saw you staring at her that day from the front mirror and also the way you cared for her in the party".

  He shakes his head and smiles. A very shy but I don't know weird, good smile. "I was just being nice at the party. And it wasn't her that I was staring at". He answers. "Oh". Wait. Who was he staring at then? Me? No way.

    I think I'm overthinking. Before any of us could say anything we've arrived at the dorm. He removes his seat belt and walks out of the car. I take up all my stuff and unbuckle myself to see him open my side of the door. Arjun opened my door. Arjun OPENED the door for me!

    Ok just a simple gentleman like gesture. I walk out. "Thank you" is all I say.

    He just nods. I wait for him to leave but he doesn't and I feel he's waiting for me to go in first. So I comply. After exchanging our good nights I turn back and walk towards the hall. I feel his stare make a hole in my back. But I don't dare turn. Once I've reached my room I breathe again. What was that about?

     The whole night I was in a chaos. Am I loosing my mind here due to too much of work and skipping meals?

     Before I knew I was in deep sleep. I can't tell I had dinner before hitting the bed. But my last thought was something not very ususal, something concerning about him. Why does it have to be him? Why do I think about him? Do I like him?