Chapter 7

"What did you do now Sashi? What is happening?". My father questions me with a worried look. I guess he's not worried for me but for the person fighting against me coz he knows me well.

   "Daddy I didn't do anythi...". As I started I was cut off by the Stranger.

   "No problem sir. It's just a small bargaining issue." He says. Turning to me he asks "Are you ready to buy that Shawl or not ma'am?". He asks emphasising on the word ma'am more. I felt so much anger brewing in me.

   "I don't buy fakes sir. And I do respect a lot of things. That too hard earned money. I don't waste it on something worthless". I give it back to him straight to the face. And start walking signalling my parents to come along.

   Suddenly before leaving I turn back, look at him one last time and say "Nice meeting you Sir. Wish you luck if we ever meet again. Coz I don't wish us to meet at all. If we do then God save you. Here and also back in India". And I walk away grinning. I knew the moment I saw him, he was from India. The tanned skin,facial features and I didn't miss the accent he spoke with too.

       What is wrong with me. The way back to hotel I was occupied a lot. Occupied in his thoughts. My father and mother have scolded me for the nth time and brother was so full of his mocking and the poor guide couldn't understand what they were chanting coz it was Tamil, our mother tongue. They didn't want outsiders to know or understand what is happening.

    But he would have got the hint that I'm being yelled and all the chants are for me. I don't say it as a scold because my parents are always very straightforward but their words don't hurt much. So I call it chants.

    Amidst all the fuss my brain is just focused on how beautiful he was. The Stranger God. But at the same time I felt very much aggressive. How can someone be this mean. Not so very Gentlemanly. But he was Manly, at least physically. On one corner of my heart I really wished to see him again.

"Sashi?". My mother jerked me from my thoughts.

"Yeah?". I said.

"What has gotten into you. Stop dreaming." She sighed.

"Ok ma. Sorry. I was just a bit angry. I lost it. I'm sorry". I apologized and gave her the good girl face with a smile.

She smiled. "What do you want for dinner? After all that brawling you must be hungry". She said.

"Ma it wasn't a brawl. And I'm not hungry. I feel full". Really. I question myself.

My mother gives a very puzzled look.

"I just don't have the appetite ma". I lie.