The Endless Night

Start from the beginning

“Are you fine?” Harry said, catching up and stopping her in her tracks as he held onto her arm.

“Better now than a while ago,” she said, still walking. She didn’t seem to want any attention from him, but he felt like he shouldn’t leave her alone. Not now that he just found out.

“You want me to stay up with you a bit?” Harry offered, putting his hands in his pockets as he stayed nearby the door to his flat. He really wanted her to tell him that it would be great to hang out for a little bit, even though they already had the whole afternoon to themselves.

She turned toward him and seemed to be pondering on the thought. Kol walked toward him and said, “Okay sure. Niall’s out already and I really need someone awake to hang around.” He grinned and opened the door.

Louis wasn’t in the flat for tonight, since he and Eleanor had gone to her relatives to visit. The flat was dark and quiet as Harry switched on the lights.

Kol headed straight toward the balcony and cracked open the door a bit. She pulled a chair nearby and lit another cigarette. She made sure to keep the smoke going outside, as well as the burning ends.

Harry took another chair and sat opposite her, watching her moodiness, which was very unlike her. She didn’t bother paying any attention to him, and she went through the cigarette, taking only three hits and then watching the rest of it burn.

For some reason, he didn’t feel uneasy about it. He felt like he was looking into some part of her that she didn’t let many people see. Harry had to cross his arms and keep them to himself, because she was really very tempting. Then again, she had always been tempting to him.

After a really long period of silence and three cigarettes later, she said, “You’re probably the only one from the boys who didn’t reach out in some way immediately.”

Harry didn’t know how to proceed with it. She didn’t sound annoyed. She didn’t sound relieved. She just stated it, not really seeming to demand any reaction from him, so he said, “Is that a good or bad thing?”

“Maybe both. I’m not sure. This is nice though. You’re not grilling me too much about my feelings, which is sort of weird of you. You’re always the one who asks people if they’re all right.”

Harry shrugged. “Didn’t feel like you needed it. You probably got that from everyone else already. I felt like you just needed to…blow off some steam, I suppose.”

“I don’t get it.” She looked at him with a peculiar look on her face. “You seem to understand me more than I understand myself. It’s weird.”

This just even depressed Harry more that Niall was with her. He was one of his best mates, but Harry had restrained himself from actual fisticuffs with Niall when he had first found out that he had kissed her. Harry might just still, if Niall ever treated her badly.

He also knew that Niall would not take it too forgivingly if Harry decided to try to steal her away from him, and Harry knew that he might just succeed at that, if Kol was always too trusting and willing to spend some time with Harry alone.

“You don’t know how much I notice then,” Harry said cautiously. He had flirting tendencies, and when he wanted a girl, he would undoubtedly just go for it. With her though, he had to walk on eggshells, since he didn’t want it to be blatantly obvious, other than he should be giving up on her completely.

It wasn’t very nice to hear about two best friends sharing a girl.

“Like how you guys think I don’t notice when you’re hiding farts in the dressing rooms?” she said lightly, flicking the lighter for fire repeatedly. There was a trace of a smirk on her face and Harry laughed.

“Hey, don’t talk to me about that. Your boy’s the one that farts the loudest.”

“And you have the smelliest,” she teased.

He reached over and hit her lightly on her leg and she put both up onto the chair and tried kicking his hands away. “Don’t touch me. Your smelly farts are contagious!”

“Like you don’t have any dark secret flaws that you don’t want anyone to know about,” Harry said. There were a lot on the tip of his tongue, but he resisted himself from listing all of them down, because he only then realized how much he had been paying attention. Aside from that fact, he also didn’t want to realize that even though she did have those kinds of flaws, he thought they just added to her character. They weren’t flaws. They were just something more to love about her.

“I am aware that I don’t have a trail of girls running after me,” Kol said, rolling her eyes.

“If you did, that would have been really hot,” Harry joked, and he received another playful kick from her because of it. “Don’t mess with the face! It comes along with the talent!”

They bantered like that without really noticing the time. It was only when Kol decided to look at the clock on her phone when she finally stood up and said that she better be heading back to Niall’s flat.

He walked with her until she was right outside her flat with Niall.

Harry was about to turn away to head back to his when she said, “You’re a really good guy, Harry. I really don’t know what I would do without you.”

She leaned in and gave him a light kiss on the cheek, which he hadn’t been expecting, so his head swiveled down in a way that her lips landed on his. He felt the surge of shock that came along, although it only lasted a second.

Kol laughed it off. “You and your accidents.”

She opened the door and waved before closing it behind her.

Harry just stared at the closed door for a few more minutes in silence. While she didn’t think anything of it, Harry ended up closing his eyes in resignation. As much as he tried to suppress it, he still liked her, maybe even more than he did before.

He really really wished that he didn’t come home early.

~

A/N- P.S. I felt like that Jeff Bernat song was exactly how Harry felt about her, especially the 'I feel that we should be together... Treat me like another equal, person that just wants to hang with you.' I love all his songs. His voice is al;d;algn;alnf;aljkg;lasnkdg... I cannot even...