Cast as the Female Lead

“So what song will you be using for the video?” Kol inquired while she was at the interview with Gwen, the casting director for the video. The director, Frye, was also in the room.

“It’s the song ‘I Want’, and we were glad to get a quick response from your agent, because we have a deadline for the video,” Gwen said, putting down notes on her iPad. She and Frye were exchanging glances.

“We already have a concept for it that the management has approved. We just need to cast the female lead, and you’ve been one of the top choices,” Frye said, putting his hands together, “and after meeting you, I do believe that we’ve found our girl.”

“Are there going to be other girls in the video?” Kol asked. She had dressed to impress, what with her hair in a ponytail high on her head, her face made up to look natural, and her outfit looking preppy with the cream-colored high waist pleated skirt and the long-sleeved shirt. She wasn’t sure what look to go with at first. It had been either laid-back or preppy, which the boys had seemed to balance so well. She had to pay attention to have the same vibe.

“No, it’ll just be you. We’re thinking that there will be three days to shoot, and you’ll have rehearsals. You’ll only have to fly in on location later than the boys, since they’ll be shooting other scenes that don’t need you in it.”

“Yeah, okay. Just send the details over to my agent and I’ll head over to the location of your shoot,” Kol smiled, which was one of the shots in the summer spread that they had probably found her in. “What information will be restricted for me to say?”

“They’ll have different videos for behind-the-scenes stuff for the fans, but we’ll have that worked out to be released after the actual video release, so you won’t have any problems with saying anything that will give away the whole video,” Frye said. “If you get offered for interviews after shooting though, just tell them the essence of the video and how you got cast.”

“There’ll be released of teasers anyway, so you won’t need to be very tight-lipped, except for location and brand-dropping and stuff like that,” Gwen said. She locked her iPad and looked happy with her decision. “Well, this has been very pleasant. I didn’t expect that it would be this easy to work with you.”

“We just need you to sign a waiver, a confidentiality agreement and a contract that we will be sending over to your agent,” Frye said, standing up. “Any negotiations can be sent through her.”

Kol did the same and shook hands with both of them. “Thank you for the opportunity. I’m glad that I will be able to work with you.”

She exited the building, feeling like she had just made a life-altering decision, just to be in that video. She was sure that it was nothing. It would just be another gig that she could add to the list that would hopefully have the agency sign her again for another year. She really had to step it up for the next half of the year.

She called Maria. Her agent answered on the second ring. She sounded a little distracted. “I got the job. They said that they would be sending the paperwork to you,” Kol said, walking over to a nearby coffee shop. It was almost time for her shift at the restaurant anyway, and she had about only three hours of sleep and she needed all the caffeine that she could get.

“Congratulations,” Maria said, but didn’t sound all that surprised.

“It sounds like I’m a little late in giving you the news. Have you already heard from them?”

“I did, just a few seconds before you called actually. They really seem to be in a hurry. Their deadline must be the end of the month. I’ll just be looking over the contracts before giving you the okay. I don’t think it will be a problem though.”

“Okay, thanks Maria. I have to go now though. Tell me when to come by to sign the papers.”

Kol hung up and ordered a large cup of coffee and walked the rest of the way toward the restaurant. It was only a few blocks away from the place where she had that casting call with Frye and Gwen, and she needed all the exercise that she could get.

One of the models who owned the restaurant, Slinky Carmichael, was behind the bar, fixing up a couple of drinks for a few customers in for an early drink.

“Hey Kol,” Slinky said. She looked in a very good mood, since she was humming as she cleaned out martini glasses.

Kol waved and headed over to the locker rooms, where she got changed into the standard black uniform for all the waiters and waitresses. They didn’t have separate locker rooms, since they were basically models that were used to being stripped half-naked for shoots anyway.

Sean, who was just buttoning his shirt, looked over and said, “How’s your day so far, Kol?”

Kol shrugged. “Okay so far. Hopefully, after a gig I just got, it’ll look up.”

“What is it?” he asked, closing the locker and tying the laces on his leather shoes.

“I’m not sure if I can say,” Kol said, opening her locker and started to undress. “There was this confidentiality thing, so I don’t know if I’m allowed.”

“Mysterious.” Sean smiled, sitting on the bench that was in between the cramped line of lockers. “Is it pretty big?”

“It’s a music video, but I’m not sure if it’ll be big or not. Most likely, I won’t even get that noticed.” Kol pulled up her skirt and tucked her shirt in. “Hopefully, it’ll pay well enough though. I’ll find out the figure tomorrow, after Maria negotiates it.”

“Well, good luck to you, however that turns out.”  He stood up and found his way out the locker rooms.

Kol fixed herself up to look presentable. She put on five-inch wedge boots to appear taller. The restaurant was known for its exclusivity in the hiring staff. She was the shortest girl here, what with the other models being at least 5’8 in height.

She prepared herself for another long night as she sighed, not knowing that her future was about to change drastically.