twenty eight

Brookes POV

I grab a handful of hangers, each holding an article of clothing that I'm transferring from Stiles's house to Derek's. This is my last load of things, and I'm particularly ready to take a nap on my bed. Just as I finish throwing my clothes onto my chair, I get a text from Scott.

"Meet me at the clinic, Derek will be here soon"

I sigh, immediately leaving the sight of my comfortable bed and moving back towards my car. Why does he want to meet me when it's close to bedtime?

Pulling up to the vet clinic, I see that Derek's car is already here. I drag myself outside and stroll inside Scotts work. Derek,Scott,and Isaac are stood inside the lobby, and Derek's eyes narrow when I walk in.

"What is she doing here?" He asks Scott.

"Hello to you too, brother" I greet him.

"Same reason Isaac is here, I need her" Scott crosses his arms, throwing Derek some sass.

"Hey Brooke" Isaac smiles warmly and waves. I smile back and nod.

Scott furrows his brows and gives me a questioning look. I shrug my shoulders and avert my attention to Derek, who is walking toward the back room.

"Where's the vet, is he gonna help us or not?" Derek asks angrily. Jeez, what crawled up his butt?

Deaton, Scott's boss, approaches from the doorway and scares me half to death. He is one sneaky human.

"Depends. Your friend Jackson, are we planning to kill him or save him?" Deaton asks.

Scott says, "Save him" at the same time Derek says "Kill him"

I sigh, "As much as I want to agree with Derek, we're saving him"

Deaton gives me an assertive nod as Derek glares at me.

I glare back, "Drop the attitude, sour wolf"

Isaac chuckles, making Derek slap him in the back of the head. Deaton just shakes his head and moves to the back room. Isaac follows next to me while rubbing his head.

Deaton then lays out a bunch of bottles, which Isaac immediately takes interest to. Derek slaps his hand away before he can touch any.

"Watch what you touch." Derek scolds him. These betas have really changed my brother, it's like he's a dad or something.

I stand in between Scott and Isaac and watch Deaton grab a bottle and study it. I'm guessing he knows exactly what he's looking for since three bottles have been picked up and placed back down.

"So... What are you? Some kind of witch?"Isaac questions, leaning on the table.

Deaton doesn't hesitate, "No. I'm a veterinarian"

I scoff, trying my best not to laugh. Isaac straightens up and gives me an embarrassed look. Deaton shakes off Isaac's question and says,

"Unfortunately, I can't find anything here that's going to be an effective defense against a paralytic toxin."

"We're open to suggestions" Derek mumbles, hoping Deaton can give us anything.