thirty two

Brooke's POV

Jackson was later lifted off the field and into a body bag. We all stood and watched in shock. I may have not liked him at all, but it's still upsetting to see him die.

He got caught up in something no teenager should have to deal with.

Once Jackson's body was taken to the hospital, the team and I went to the locker room. I changed from Isaac's large uniform back into my clothes. I kept thinking about how amazing it felt to play. The adrenaline coursing through my body was a feeling like no other, and I wish so badly I could do it again. Now I know why Scott, Boyd, and Isaac have trouble staying in control while playing, and why they play anyway. But, I still couldn't get one thing off my mind--

Stiles

What if he's hurt? Someone could have killed him by now, and I'm obsessing over a lacrosse game. I hope he's okay.

I decide to push the thought of him out of my mind, leaving the bathroom stall and joining Isaac and Scott in their conversation with Sheriff.

"I've got to meet with the medical examiner and try to figure out what happened with Jackson." Sheriff explains, giving me a side hug as I approach, "I've got an APB out on Stiles. His jeep is still in the parking lot. So that means.."

His voice breaks off, tears filling in his eyes. I look to the ground in efforts to hold it back as well. I hate when other people cry, especially people I care about. So much for not thinking about Stiles.

"Well, I don't know what that means." Sheriff finishes.

"If he answers his phone, if he answers his emails, if any of you see him--"

"We'll call you" I nod my head, placing my hand on Sheriff's shoulder. He gives me a soft smile.

Scott sighs, "He's probably just freaked out from all the attention or something. We'll find him"

I agree with Scott, although I don't believe it. Stiles would be rolling in excitement from all the attention. He didn't run away, someone took him. My bets are on Gerard, he knows Stiles is the way to both Scott and me.

"McCall." Coach says quietly, which is strange to hear since he's so loud spoken, "I need you on the team. You know I can't play you in the field next season if you don't get your grades up."

Scott nods, "Yeah, I know Coach"

"Alright" Coach begins to walk away, but stops himself, "I know I yell a lot, but it's not like I hate you guys. Well, I kinda hate Greenburg, but that's different. It's Greenburg"

I chuckle at his statement. I've never talked to Greenburg, but everyone seems to dislike him.

"I'm just saying, we.. I need you on the team. Get your grades back up"

I can't help but smile at his openness. Jackson's death must have really made Coach realize that he cares about all of us.

"I will" Scott promises.

"I know" Coach nods, "Oh, and Brooke? Great job tonight. I wish you would have played the season out"

I scoff, "Tell that to my brother"