#22

*edited*

Everleigh Mortimer:

"Angel, wake up." I heard my husband's voice and came back to my senses.

"Ash, there was Ben but-but he is dead." I looked at him and sat up realising that I was now on the sofa with everyone scattered around the living room.

My eyes met familiar blue ones.

"I probably hit my head very hard when I fell because there he is." I pointed to Ben's figure and I saw him give me a sad smile and come closer to me.

"You're not dreaming snowdrop. It's really me." I glanced at Asher and saw the glare he was holding against my brother and from that moment on all hell broke loose.

"You fucking kidding me? Paul, take the girls, Annie, go check on Alex and the rest of you out." I growled and all followed orders. My kids looked a little scared and Kendyn just retreated to a corner and started talking with Ray.

I stood up and came close to my brother. I knew that Ash was still behind me. I looked at Ben and he still looked the same but a little older. It was amazing to me how much my baby Carter and him looked alike. The same chocolate brown hair, the same deep blue eyes, the dimples, the nose...

I couldn't help but hug him. To my surprise, he hugged me back like his life depended on it.

"I missed you so much snowdrop, you have no idea how hard it was for me to stay away."

That's when it snapped.

"Then why did you leave in the first place? I thought you were dead, I thought I had lost you and my best friend forever! And you have the nerve to show up, very much alive, just after my daughter has been kidnapped? You are really taking the piss, Benjamin!" I said making space between us.

"About that I know-" I put my hand up.

"Nope, I don't want to hear it. I'm not finished. How the fuck are you alive? I was there when you died. I held you as you took your last breath! I saw you get buried six feet under! I was there! I saw it all!" I yelled shoving him.

"Everleigh, listen, I'm not here for that if you would just let me tal-" he tried.

"No! Where have you been all this time? If you're alive then that means that Victoria is too..." I looked up at him and saw the guilt in his eyes.

"She's alive too isn't she." he didn't say anything but that's all I needed.

"Oh, my gosh she is isn't she!" I hit him again and again until I was pulled back into my husband's arms.

"Everleigh, hitting him won't change what happened." Ash reasoned.

"Maybe but it sure feels good to whoop his arse," I mumbled.

"Snowdrop you have to understand that I couldn't come to see you. I had to keep you safe and my niece." he pushed.

"So keeping us safe was faking your and Victoria's death, making me think it was my fault then showing up nearly nineteen years later to say 'oh hey, buy the way I'm not dead!" I mocked.

" You sure have a funny way of keeping me safe. Where were you when I went into depression because of all this? When I went into early labour that risked my life and Rose's? When I met Dan and ended up in an abusive relationship? When I was kidnapped? When I went into labour with my other children? On my bloody wedding days, and yes days because I got married two times! When Sergei died, when mum almost killed me and my child. Huh! Where the fuck were you? I was all alone for most of it and it never occurred to you that maybe I needed my brother with me? To be there for me like he had promised the day he 'died'." I felt wetness dripping from my cheeks and that's when I realised that I was crying and Asher took me straight into his arms.

"I know I should have been there, I know I should but I couldn't. I needed out of this life. And staying in this life was putting not only you and Rose in danger but my son as well." I froze at his words.

"You have a son? Oh, this just keeps getting better and better." I exclaimed throwing my arms in the air nearly waking Ash in the face.

"He's seventeen, turning eighteen soon. Vic is pregnant again, a little girl this time." he sighed with love in his eyes. I softened a little seeing how happy he was with his life, well what he shows as happiness at least.

"I never meant to hurt you in all this but know that I was there every step of the way. Who do you think got Dan hooked on drugs and put in debt, so much he couldn't repay Asher here present? That sent Sergei the invite to the gala you went to that evening with Ash once again? We both know how much he hated going after his wife died. I was there at your wedding back in Australia, I helped get the kids to safety by shooting the enemy. Who do you think gave the phone to Damon and Rose when they were kidnapped and just so happen to know your number so that you could get them back? I was always there hiding in the shadows, I just couldn't show myself because there are things that are bigger than you can handle by yourself and to keep all of you safe I needed to sacrifice myself."

I just stood there in shock. Drinking in all he was saying. He got me where I am today, without those little elements I don't think my life would have turned out like they did.

"It was all you?" I asked coming back up to him. Sure there were some things that he couldn't prevent like Carter and Sergei's deaths when Rose got hurt and other little things like that.

"I can't believe it's you. Why didn't you show yourself before?" tears continued streaming from my eyes, he sighed pulling me to his chest.

" You must understand that I couldn't, I needed to play double agent to keep you safe. The gangs I worked for during the years that all wanted to harm you and your family, they all did background checks and I couldn't risk showing up and them knowing that we were family. But that's not why I came to see you." I lifted my head from his chest.

"Then why did you come? I not sure if you've noticed but we have a bit of a situation at hand right now." I asked tilting my head to the side.

" I know who, and where they took my niece." I pulled away from him and looked at Asher who was already phone in hand calling everyone up.

"Then why didn't you say so first!" I playfully shoved my brother on the shoulder. He just rolled his eyes.

"I tried but miss blabber mouth over here wouldn't let me." he swung his arm over my shoulder following Asher who was heading to his office with Kendyn in tow.

"Let's get your daughter back."

______________________