Chapter 32: Blood

As the losers club dinner came to an end, and they came face to face with the monsters that arose from their fortune cookies, the group decided it was high and time to get the hell out of that place. However, the only problem was the exit was blocked, and a handful of people crowded around the entrance of the women's bathroom. They chattered and murmured worriedly, all trying to peek in at what was inside.
    "What the hell's going on? Is the pope in town?" Richie joked, causing Eddie to shake his head at him.
    "I.. I don't know..." Bill mumbled. But for some reason he felt like he knew different. There was an unsettling feeling in the pit of his gut, and for this reason he absently took step forward. Before he knew it, he was pushing past the crowd and making his way into the bathroom.
There was a pool of blood on the marble tile, and two Chinese women in restaurant uniforms crouched beside a still body on the floor. One held the lifeless hand in her own and weeped, while the older of the two repeated a prayer over and over in her native language. Bill could not see past the torso of the woman, but he saw her legs, dressed in jeans with boots for what appeared to be the tiniest pair of feet that Bill had ever seen. In fact, the only time he'd ever seen feet as small as those were when he first met...
   "A-Amelia?" Bill squeaked, causing the two women to look up at him in curiosity.
"Your wife?" The woman wept. "Your wife?"
Bill ignored her, moving closer towards the body. His foot took a step into the pool of blood, but he was not phased by the crimson liquid. However, he saw the woman's soft brown hair, and her dimpled chin. He gazed at her pale skin, her gentle face, and a small sob escaped his lips as he saw the mangled facial appearance that was his Amelia. She was almost unrecognizable due to the fact that a chunk of her face was missing leaving only the skeleton to show. It was a gruesome sight. Chunks of flesh were scattered along her body, teeth marks apparent on her remaining skin. Her once lively blue eyes were now dulled and rolled over to the back of her head. Bill wanted to vomit, but all he could really do was sink to his knees and cry.
His pants were stained with the blood of his former lover, and as he delicately picked her up and held her in his arms, he wondered where he had gone wrong. What could he have done better to protect her? To stop this from happening? What could he do to bring her back?
It's my fault, he thought, and as drops of blood continued to fall from her face and onto the floor he wept into her chest until no more tears were left.