Chapter 30; Amelia Jones

four years ahead

    The California sun shone brightly down on the woman's dark locks of hair. She was thirty one now, and she couldn't be happier. With the divorce came financial gain. It hadn't been her plan to get any of his money, but when they decided to part, Bill insisted that Amelia get part of the money in order to help her "find her way" without him. Amelia didn't question it or try to protest the decision anymore than she already had. Instead, she took her belongings, the money she had gained, and moved herself to a quaint little apartment home in Los Angeles, California.
After Bill, Amelia focused mainly on getting her new life without him together. A new home, new furniture. She'd have to get her own job though, considering she no longer had a husband to financially support her. Everything was working great for Amelia. But there was a catch...
His name was Dallas, Dallas Austin. An okay-looking thirty six year old man who loved to drink, smoke, gamble, and have a girl that looked like Amelia by his side. She didn't exactly recall how they met, except it had been in a dark, dank smelling place Amelia had slipped into only to use the bathroom. They chatted while she waited, he offered to take her home, and the next thing she knew she found herself agreeing to go on a date with the man.
Dallas had dark brown hair and eyes to match. Light skin that showed the small scar on his cheek that he had supposedly gotten as a kid. He had nothing on Bill, but at least he made her feel less lonely at times. His alcohol smelling breath and warm body heat was what helped Amelia forget things every now and then.
  The sun glistened down on her again which caused her to wipe away the sweat with the back of her hand. The skin toned makeup marked her hand, taunting her with the realization of its accidental removal. Amelia frowned at the sight, sighing softly and rubbing her hand on her jeans. She had to be getting home. It was starting to grow late and she knew what would happen if she failed to make dinner on time. The makeup on her hand was a simple reminder of the reprimanding she'd have to go through yet again.
So she hurried herself home and prayed to God Dallas wouldn't fail to arrive home late like he usually did.
~~~~
The front door swung open and slammed against the wall loudly about five minutes after Amelia had put the bread rolls into the oven. The noise made her flinch, and the realization of his arrival caused a deep, hollow pain in the pit of her stomach.
"Please be sober, please be sober," Amelia repeated quietly to herself under her breath.
"'Meliaaaaaaaa," Dallas called, causing her to wring her hands nervously. He was home on time, but he was drunk as a skunk.
"I-In the kitchen, dear," Amelia stuttered. God, why was she so nervous? It was just her boyfriend, Dallas. The man who loved her. Don't be nervous Amelia, don't be nervous. Don't be nervous, don't be-
"What the hell is," he stopped to hiccup, "what the hell is this?"
"Umm.. dinner," Amelia answered meekly. Dallas laughed wryly.
"You call this-" he gestured to the pot of veggies and the raw steak cooking on the stove, "you call this dinner?"
And to Amelia's dismay, Dallas grasped the bowl of veggies and sent it shattering onto the floor.
"Oh, dear," Amelia silently chimed, lowering herself onto her knees as she began to try and pick up the mess.
"Stop that," Dallas warned. "Stop it right now. You're supposed to be making me- me dinner!"
"I-I know, but I- the mess-"
"To hell with the mess!" Dallas shouted, now forcefully grabbing her cheeks to direct her face up to meet his eyes. "You do what I say, and I say you get your ass back to that stove and cook."
"Dallas, please," Amelia begged softly, "darling, not tonight." But instead he grabbed her by the shoulders with a force so strong she could've sworn he had broken her arms.
"You're useless, do you hear me?!" He shouted, his saliva forming into spit as it left his mouth and landed onto her delicate skin. "You're no good! God, you act like a little girl sometimes. You can't do anything right!"
He was shaking her by the shoulders, causing her head to sway back and forth in violent motions. It was giving her a headache and sending her into a state of nausea.
"Dallas!" She cried, and suddenly he stopped. His eyes widened slightly, and his grip slowly loosened. Then he let go completely and watched her fall to the floor. She was weeping now, weeping quietly into her hands. Her body trembled in fear like a scared little puppy.
"I... I have to go," he muttered quietly to himself. He kept looking at her with that same look of terror on his face. Yes, he was sorry. So so sorry. But no one had ever taught him how to apologize. No one had ever told him that this was not the way to treat the person you loved.
So he grabbed his keys and slowly backed out of the front door, leaving Amelia to try and recollect herself.
Amelia, tears still pouring from her eyes, slowly lifted herself up off of the ground. She gently pulled down her shirt sleeve to inspect her arm. Already, a nasty, purple bruise was forming. The sight made her begin to cry even harder.
Was this really love? Did she really love Dallas? Or was this just a way to prove to Bill that she could easily move on? Did Dallas even love her?
Amelia didn't know a single answer to any of these questions, which scared her the most.
Amelia should have never come to California.
And she never should have answered the phone the fateful night Mike Hanlon decided to give her a call...
~~~
a/n: yo i updated are you guys proud of me? anywho, wow, 7k reads?? I'm so honored to know that you guys are continuing to read this book considering it's so rough due to the fact that it was my first written book. Anywho, just wanted to send some love for that :)  and hey, this wraps up part two of the book. Onto part three :)
oh yeah, my book I've been working on is going very well. Almost done with ten chapters. Still won't be published for a while but I'll let y'all know
p.s. I'm seeing Green Day in concert on Saturday yA BOI
but anyways
rage and love,
~Billie Joe's eyeliner