Chapter 21: Training Wheels

"Really?! Don't make me laugh. No. No. Yeah. Uh-huh, okay. Well enjoy it! Yeah, I love you too, okay, bye." She set the phone back on its holder, absent mindedly spinning the circle over and over, watching it spin back to its original place.
"Who was that, love?" Bill asked from the kitchen.
"My cousin, she was telling me about her new boyfriend, like the twelfth one so far," she replied with a giggle. Bill rolled his eyes and smiled. They were thirteen now, and it was the summer of 1960, a good one at that. Eddie was leaving to another town with his mother tomorrow, for good. It didn't surprise her that he'd be the first to move away.
She looked out the window, and sighed. A little girl was sitting on the back of a bicycle seat, holding onto the boy in front of her who drove the bike.
'Training wheels,' she thought, and smiled.
"I'll be back, Bill!" She yelled out, walking out the door before he could reply.
'He'll love the idea,' she thought.
~~~~~~~~~
"I don't see why I have to do this."
"Just hush up and keep your eyes closed," Amelia yelled from across the way, as Bill sighed and covered his eyes with his hands. Boy, did she have a surprise for him. Her little maroon colored dress swayed as her little red shoes clicked against the pavement, her curly hair tied into pigtails with satin ribbons. The white collar of her dress was itchy and tight, and her socks were annoying to her too.
She stopped the silver bike in front of him, smiling.
"Alright, open your eyes," she said. The boy took his soft hands away from his gentle blue eyes to see, and gasped in surprise. His bike, the bike he hadn't rode in what seemed like ages.
"S-S-Silver?!" He exclaimed. The bike still looked the same, shiner as ever. Amelia had waxed, polished, and shined it, adding oil to the bell so it rung perfectly. She also polished the seat, and added training wheels, not wanting him to get hurt. What if he didn't know how to ride anymore after all this time?
"I found him in the garage, fixed Silver up a little too. And I added training wheels, I'm not sure if you still know how to ride or not, and I don't want your soft hands to hit the jagged ground. I brought a first-aid kit too." He merely smiled at her.
"Thank y-you," he stuttered, and sat down on the bike, it was still a little too big for him to ride. Amelia smiled, remembering the time he had nearly crashed into her, it was her hands that had hit the jagged ground. But he cleaned her up and helped her, and that's how they met.
"Go on, try it out," she encouraged. He rung the bell, a huge grin on his face, then wobbly rode down the street slowly. Amelia noticed the wheels were uneven touching the ground. She wanted them off, but Bill seemed a bit hesitant.
She sat on behind him, one arm wrapped around him and her other hand on her seat the whole way round, holding her bandaids close to her just in case.

Riding down, Riding down

My hand on your seat the whole way round

I carry band aids on me now

For when your soft hands hit the jagged
ground

"I think you should take them off now," Amelia said, now getting bored. She wanted to ride like before, when he went so fast he could beat the devil, the wind hitting their faces. Bill bit his lip.
"I-I don't kn-n-now," he said timidly. He was scared. She rolled her eyes and smiled.
"They're uneven, barely even touching the ground Bill, so it's like you're even using them. Go on, promise me you'll take them off." He sighed, stopping the bike.
"A-Alright."

Wheels aren't even touching the ground

Scared to take them off, but they're so worn
out