Chapter Two; Down by the Barrens

I kept my arms around him the whole ride. We turned a corner and rode along this bridge type thing and headed down to the barrens. Silver's tires screeched as Bill hit the brakes on the bike. For a moment, I thought I'd fly off the bike and into the bush, maybe over the bridge and into the water. I held his torso tighter, hiding my face in his back without realizing.
"H-Hey, it's okay," Bill comforted as he placed his hand on one of my hands that was around him, rubbing it gently with his thumb. I looked up, and saw I was still on the bike instead of floating in the water. I sighed, loosening my grip on him, and letting go.
I got off the bike, and looked around. Never had I ever been down here before. Mother says ladies don't go off walking into the woods or the barrens or anywhere dirty, you absolutely must stay inside, where you can play the piano, knit, sew, read, write, and take care of your family, along with cleaning and cooking. Bill jumped off his bike and leaned it against a tree.
"I'm guessingl you've never been to the barrens before," he said, standing next to me. I nodded, noticing he hasn't stuttered. "Okay, let's get ya cleaned up. I told E-E-E-Edd-Eddie to bring some supplies today, and luckily, that included band aids and such, in case we hurt ourselves building the dam." He took my hand, and helped me walk down the hill and down to the side of the water.
"Thank you, for um, helping me," I said as he walked me over to the water, sitting down at the edge.
"It's the least I could do. I d-don't usually c-c-crash into puh-puh-pretty g-girls," he answered, giving me a small smile. I felt my cheeks grow hot at his reply, and I couldn't help but smile back. Out of instinct, I guess, I kissed his cheek. I giggled at how quickly his cheeks changed from a light pink to a dark red.
"Bill!" Someone called from above. I looked to see a small boy, most likely in our grade, dressed in a grayish purplish long sleeved shirt a with a collared shirt under, nice black pants, and a brown plaid coat. He ran down, white paper bag in hand, and headed over to us.
"Who's this?" He asked as he reached us, handing Bill the bag.
"T-th-this is Amelia. Amelia, this E-Eh-Eh-Eh," he stuttered. The boy rolled his eyes.
"It's Eddie, god Bill I hate it when you stutter my name. You sound like Elmer Fudd." He sighed. I giggled.
"I think you mean Porky Pig, he's the one who stutters. Elmer Fudd talks like this," I said, then got into character. "Shh, I'm hunting wabbits," I whispered, slouching down slightly. The boys bursted into a fit of laughter, as I stood the giggling at my own joke.
"I think Richie's gonna like her," Eddie laughed, wiping a tear from his eye. I smiled.
"Who's Richie?" I asked. Bill and Eddie looked at each other, and smiled.
"You'll meet him soon enough. He's another friend of ours," Bill said. I smiled, but it faded when I heard the sound of running, stomping feet.
"Look at the stupid baby dam," someone said. I turned to see Henry Bowers and his friends. Just great.
"What do you want?" Eddie asked, the sweet little boy turning into an annoyed, brat.
"Shut up kid," Henry said, taking what looked like a bottle, a prescription bottle for someone who has asthma.
"Hey give it back," Eddie protested, but was pushed down by Henry. Eddie's breathing grew loud, into big heavy gasps. I then realized he wasn't able to breathe.
"L-leave him alone," Bill said, glaring at Henry.
"Shut up stuttering freak," was Henry's rude reply. He tossed Eddie's aspirator into his lap, then smirked.
"Have any of you seen a fat kid run by here? Butterball, really ugly, have you?" He asked.
"No, but I do see an ugly pig right in front of me," I spat, glaring at him. I heard Bill gasp, and I could see the shocked looks on their faces. Henry chuckled, using his hand to smush my cheeks, and pulled my face closer to his.
"Listen doll, don't you ever talk to me like that ever again, or you'll regret it," he said, then let go of my cheeks. I felt Bill take my hand, as he pulled me back towards him.
"So you're sure you haven't seen the kid, you sure?" Henry asked again. Bill shook his head.
"I'm s-sure," Bill replied. And with that, Henry left.
"What a dingus," I muttered, kicking the dirt. Bill smiled, and kissed my cheek.
"I know, I know, just be careful next time," he said. I half smiled at him and blushed.
We then turned out attention back to Eddie, who wasn't looking too hot.