Chapter 20

Next afternoon, I find Samuel sitting in the diner, drinking a cup of coffee and talking with one of my co-workers. I wave at him when he looks at me and start my own shift. About ten minutes later, my boss - Mrs. Eden - says, "Go talk to him, then see him out."

I nod. I went to sit where Samuel was sitting and said, "I suppose you came to talk?"

"Yes, to ask a question."

I instantly knew it had to do something with last evening and that blasphemous kiss.

"Hmm?"

"Are you and Seb getting back together?" he asked.

"No"

"So what was the kiss about? I know you kissed him back. A 36 seconds long video is rolling in the city since last evening which shows that you both were kissing. I am not acting as a jealous boyfriend or anything because I am not but I think if I am going to date a girl I like, I should know if she likes me back"

To an onlooker, Samuel would look as sophisticated and polished as his cousin Sebastian but up close from where I was sitting, he looked a little coarse with a rough beard, long hair and a shirt that had a paint stain.

"You paint?" I ask.

"What? Yeah, sometimes"

"Okay"

"Okay?" He sighs, then laughs "That is your answer after I completely disclose my feelings"

It was an embarrassed laugh, not the one you want to be a part of.

"I am sorry. The kiss was nothing. I liked your brother before, I think a part of me still does but I do not love him and I can never... will never get back with him. I think Sebastian thinks the same way"

"Oh..I differ. He would not have kissed you like that"

I frown, "As far as I can remember, he said it was his revenge for something"

"That was not revenge" He whispers but I hear him.

Then one of his hands holds mine and he says, "Tonight, let's go on our first date"

Now, going on a date with him did not appeal as much as it did before. Was it because of his recent revelation or because of Sebastian? Also, I had to be with my daughter. But I did not want to refuse Samuel. He was still holding my hand and looking at me with those puppy eyes. I cannot say Samuel was not handsome. To be fair, he was more handsome than Sebastian. He had the green eyes, the muscular arms, the sexy jaw and those really really amazing hair on his head. In addition to all that, he was much more caring and loving than Sebastian. Sara could stay with grandpa and grandma for a few hours. 

"Okay, but I must tell you one thing"

He smiles, "Yes?"

"I have had very few dates in the past so I don't know the rules"