Chapter 16

Please remember to read the author's note at the end of the chapter!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Jordan's POV

"I am staying here with you. I am not going with him"

Why do they still treat me like a child? Why do they still make me do things their way?

"Jordan, I never asked you for anything. I didn't say a word when you decided to leave the town and I didn't speak a word when your husband asked about your whereabouts but today you have to listen to me. We can't support you now.. "

"You don't have to. I can earn for myself"

"Who will take care of your baby when you are out working?" asked Grandpa.

I frowned and lamely replied "You and grandma can do that. Didn't you say you wanted to spend time with.. "

"We are old. I am almost in my eighties and you grandma is in early seventies. We want to spend time with our granddaughter's daughter like normal grandparents do - on weekends for a few hours"

"Fine. If you can't look after Sarah, I will hire a nanny" I said.

"You have enough money for that?" asked grandma.

"Yes. I have some savings" I told them.

Mr. Douglas had already left after dinner while Sebastian was outside in his car waiting for his mom who was standing here with us and who hasn't spoken a single word yet.

"Savings shouldn't not be spent like this. They are for other more important things. Getting a job isn't easy anymore. What if you don't get a job?" Grandma couldn't get more pessimistic.

I sighed and said, "I will manage"

Mrs. Douglas chose that moment to speak, "Jordan, you do not have to worry about anything. Sarah is not just your responsibility, she is Sebastian's responsibility as well. If you are working, let him look after her"

I hadn't even thought about that.

"He has his work as well"

"So do you. He can't force you to work as well as take care of the baby" she took out her phone and dialed a number.

A few minutes later, Sebastian came back inside the house and in the living room. He looked at his mom and said "What happen?"

"Jordan will be searching for work so she will be busy"

"So?" he frowned then probably understanding what she meant, he said "I have back to back three important meetings tomorrow"

"I am not asking you to look after Sarah tomorrow but everyday"

"What? Mom, you can't really mean that! I love Sarah. I can stay with her when I am free but I have to work as well. Do you expect me to leave my work, shut down all the hotels and restaurants so that my ex-wife can work? Do you even know what she does? She hasn't even graduated yet.."

"Ex? I don't think you have divorced yet"

"I just have to get the papers signed. Given that we haven't even seen each other's faces for more than a year, we will get a divorce within a week"

"But.. But... " my grandpa looked at Mrs. Douglas. She shook her head and turned to Sebastian, "You can't force her to do things. You are the father as well. If you can't help her, then let her go.."

He scowled, "I am not holding her"

I  didn't know why Mrs. Douglas was at my side instead of backing her son's intentions. Maybe that was the reason I did not say anything to either of them right them. They both were talking about my daughter but I was just sitting back and listening, waiting for my call.