Chapter 10

Never trust a man with a pretty face..
- Shyna Cliffe

We continued to wait for Kenny in silence

We continued to wait for Kenny in silence. Sebastian asked no questions and I kept my lips sealed. Soon, the silence was getting awkward. I sat on the couch looking at the uneven nails on my fingers. Ranch work didn't help much when it came to keeping oneself beautiful. All I could do was keep myself neat and tidy.

After fifteen more minutes of silence, I opened my mouth to ask where his lawyer was.

He stared at me and said, "He said he is on his way"

"Call him and ask"

"He said he is on his way" repeated Sebastian and added, "He must be driving right now"

"Or maybe he is busy somewhere else. Ask him. I can't stay here for long"

"Why? Oh don't bother answering. I know it's not my business. Jordan, if you ..."

"My name is Zella here"

"I know that. You changed your name to your grandmother's name here. If you are hiding from someone, you can tell me"

I stood up and speak my mind before actually thinking about what to reveal and what not.

"I was hiding from you. I didn't want to see your face Sebastian Douglas. Did that get inside your arrogant sanctimonious mind or should I say more? You made me feel like a whore, a prostitute when you threw those dollar bills on my face! Who do you think you are? You can't just come back in my life even if it is to take a divorce. You could have sent a lawyer but did you do that? No. Because you like to see me in pain."

I took a breath and started again, "I did some terrible things in my life as well, spoke some lies which would make some people hate me but what you did surpasses them all and more. You, for your own benefit, used me and then threw me like a used paper napkin. You think you can buy people with money. Well you are wrong Mr. Douglas, you..."

"Stop. Just stop" Sebastian interrupted before I could finish what I started.

I didn't want to look at him so I turned away. He started speaking, each apology killing a different part in my heart, making me feel a little more breathless and a little more dead.

"I am sorry. I am so sorry for what I did to you. I know I should have said this a long time ago and I tried to but I was stupid, hurt and angry over my own loss. I should have said sorry and made amends that night but ...... If you want to punish me for that night, you can. I am sorry Jordan, I cannot be more sorry"

I felt his hands on my shoulder, urging me to turn towards him. I couldn't. He had made his apology and now it's time to tell him the truth but thoughts of him hating me and taking away Sara frightened me.

Tears started to fall from eyes and I wiped them off. A phone, his phone, started ringing and he excused to attend the call.

I found the washroom and hid there to clean my face and my emotions. I could never let him see me like this, broken and upset. However, I have to tell him the truth and it's time. I cannot hide Sara anymore, not anymore.