41 » unspoken

If I had made a different choice, would you have stayed? 

* * *

KWON CHAERIN.

"Chaerin! The omelette is ready! Ah, what's that?" Jimin came out from the kitchen wearing a plain green apron as he held a frying pan and spatula on his hands, smiling brightly as ever.

In return to his gleeful smile, I smiled as well. "This is Taehyung's journal where he wrote about everything happened in our relationship. He drew sketches of us as well and I am allowed to open this whenever I feel like doing it." I closed the book and showed the handmade cover. It was still in a good condition overall, although there were a few creases on the corner here and there, a little bit dusty as well since it had been sitting on the corner of Taehyung's work place.

Although just for a brief seconds, I could see the change of Jimin's expression. It was an unreadable one and not a something he would usually wear on his feature. "I see," he simply replied, bright colours once had returned to paint his face.

"Anyway, I never knew you could cook."  I put the book on the empty side of the sofa and headed to the dining table, sitting there as I waited Jimin to move the omelette to a plate. He even drew a smiley using ketchup.

"Oh, dear, you will not want to eat anything else after you taste my dish. Trust me." He smirked confidently as he placed the plate on the table.

"We'll see." I immediately took a spoon of it and closed my eyes to feel the taste more on my tongue. And boy was I wrong. The taste was undoubtedly magnificent. Plus, the dish spoiled my predilection for salty foods in the best way possible.

"I hate to admit this, but you are really great. Well done, Park." I continued to devour the omelette, ignoring Jimin's smug face. Eating like tomorrow did not exist.

After finishing the omelette, I cleaned my mouth as Jimin took a seat across from me. "It's nice to see you being so cheerful like that," he commented while doing the blooming flower pose.

Well, he reminded me of one particular someone.

"Actually, Jimin, I've meant to ask you this. Can you please tell me the complete story? You know... like his funeral and everything I need to know." I emphasized a few words.

Again, Jimin's facial expression changed into something that I could not really decipher. He looked so unsettled and anxious about it. At the same time, he seemed to be drowning in pain every time I mentioned Taehyung.

It must really hard on him too.

"If I tell you, will you be okay?"

"I am more than prepared to hear you, Jimin. Just tell me what you need to say.  I won't break down, I can't," I assured him.

"Well, after the accident, the driver panicked and came out from his vehicle, shaking his body and your body as the crowds began forming around you," he paused and I could see how horrified he looked, how his body was shaking frantically. "But I just stood on my spot, frozen, did not even help to call the ambulance. I did not want to tell you this because this is my stigma, Chaerin. I did not approach both of you and that's a sin!" He rose his voice a few octaves, his pupils quivered.

I reached my arm out to him and patted his head. "It's alright, it's alright, Jimin. None of this is your fault." I moved over to him and gave a hug.

"After the ambulance came, I went to the hospital with you and Taehyung. He died en route to the hospital due to excessive bleeding in his brain. You were saved, but barely. You have no idea how thankful I was when I saw your eyes open." He snuggled his head to the crook of my neck and hugged me back. "I checked your phone and saw Taehyung's mom contact on your contact list. I called his family and explained everything. We did the funeral privately at a cemetery in Daegu. That's it. I forgot to say this, but actually, Taehyung's mom said thank you to you and said it would be the best if you two cut connection for time being due to the event. Until everything is settled, at least. She said she could see Taehyung in you, Chaerin," he continued.

What Taehyung's mom had said shattered myself into pieces. How could she say a thank you for someone who did not do a great job on protecting his beloved son? I almost cried, almost, but managed to hang in and fulfilled my promise to not break down in front Jimin anymore. Not after he had braced himself to spill everything to me.

"I am so sorry, I am sorry I was not good enough. I was there yet I could not do anything to save both of you. I'm sorry, Chaerin, I really do." He clutched his fists to my shirt and hugged me really, really tight as if I was a fragile flower petal, as if I was about to shatter again.

Taehyung once said I was a lovely little flower, maybe I was, just like any other girls out there. But unlike them, I could no longer bloom for the world. There was only winter in my universe.

"It's alright, thank you so much, Jimin. Thank you for always taking care of me, you precious to this world."

Even after hearing the full tale, I could not help but feel a lump; I feel like something was omitted from his story.

It felt like... a part had been left unspoken.

━━━━━

+ ( Author's Note )

See inline comment of this sentence for spoilers! ( This one will be good, I promise. )