24 » thunderstorm

KIM TAEHYUNG.

"Tae, my mom is here, can you please go into your room? It seems like we'll need a personal space to talk here," Chaerin said after seeing through the peeping hole on our apartment door, pressing her palms together in front of her chest and gave me an apologetic look.

This is not going to be a good day.

As much as I wanted to stay with her, I knew my relationship with her parents were not the best ― they did not approve us. Chaerin never told me before but back then, I accidentally saw a notification on her phone and it was a text from her mom saying, 'if you choose him over us, then don't expect we'll see you as our child.' I thought she would leave me after that, but no, she did not. And that just gave me a reason to love her more every single day.

"Taehyung?" Her voice caught me back to reality and I just realized I have not gave an answer nor action to her request yet, so I nodded my head and went into my room.

Opening a little crack, I witnessed her mother's entrance ― red high heels crashed against the wood flooring, her attire defines a business woman with that black trouser, white shirt, and black suit attached to her body. Her face held up high, looking charismatic and proud in every step she took. She would be really beautiful if the smug face that glued to her face was not there.

They took a seat on our living room across from each other. Afterwards, Chaerin went to kitchen to prepare tea and came back with a tray in her hands. She placed it down on a table that separate them.

"Do you really think it's necessary, Kwon Chaerin? I don't come here to have a friendly talk with you and I think you're aware of that already," her mom spoke sternly. Even by the way she talked, people could already tell that she was a perfectionist.

"I certainly do. But hey, you know something called customer service, right? You don't have to drink it, I only put it there for formalities anyway. Just like what you taught me before." Although Chaerin looked emotionless while saying that, I could see her hands were trembling while clutching onto her skirts.

"You're trembling, and that proves how weak you are. In the real business world, you would have lost to your opponent," her mother pointed out, surprising me. It was amazing how she could be very observant of such details.

Chaerin's eyes slightly widened. They had a staring contest for a while ― faces resemble each other almost perfectly, yet heart and thoughts had no similarities.

I frowned, my legs were trembling as well as I waited her mother to continue her words.

"So why chose a small apartment over a mansion, Chaerin? I'm actually here to give you a last chance. Broke up with that boyfriend of yours and come back to us, you'll live happily. I know you have potential in business; you're my daughter after all. You're a hidden gem that needs to be polished and you'll be perfect. Do consider this offer carefully, Kwon Chaerin. You know I am not this kind of person, I only do this because you're my child," her mother offered. Even though she looked strict, I could feel a begging tone in her voice.

My heart palpitated as I waited for her answer. It would be really sad if Chaerin accepted the offer, but at the same time, I wanted the best for the girl I love. And of course I'm aware that me around her is not the best for her, at all.

Chaerin cleared her throat. "No matter how many times you ask me, the answer is always no," her eyebrows knitted, her tone was not shaking, at all. "I am not going back to your cage, mother. I've found solace in him, I'm happy with him. If you're my biological mother, then you should be happy for me, not take my happiness away like what you always did back then; forcing me to do things I don't even enjoy doing." I did not expect Chaerin could be that brave. After all, it's her mother she against with. A part of me cracked seeing how her relationship with her mother crashed, and I was most likely the reason behind it.

Her mother stood up from her seat and dusted off her attire. "You ungrateful brat," she spat and fixed her hair.

"I am. But remember that I'm twenty-two and old enough to make a decision. Now please leave," she rose her tone a few octaves as she pointed at the door. I, who witnessed all of this, had my mouth hung open at her tone. From what I could remember, Chaerin never be that angry before. But just by seeing her eyes, it looks like tears were triggering to fall from it.

"Fine, you chose this," her mother furiously replied before making her way to the entrance, slamming the door close harshly. The sound of her heels clashing against the floor was slowing disappearing, and the moment it vanished, Chaerin crumpled onto the floor.

I rushed to her side, bringing her to my embrace. The very least I could do for her was to hug her, and let the torrent of her tears soak through my shirt. Her fists were clenched, not knowing if it was based on anger or disappointment. I could hear her silent screams, suffocating each breath she took onto her fragile body. I ran my fingers through her hair and gave soothing pats on her back, in attempt to end the war within her mind.

"I'm sorry, Taehyung. You had to hear all of those, I'm sorry," she mumbled still on the verge of tears.

I hugged her tighter, stroking her hair gently and let her head lean on my shoulder. It would be nice if I could whisper some encouraging words, but my disability prevented me from doing that. How useless.

Maybe, I have no reason to exist after all.

A/n; read next chapter along with the warning.