11 » home to you

flashbacks | high school

KWON CHAERIN.

In the end, my parents found out about me skipping lessons yesterday. So here I am, coming back yet again to the playground I used to frequent during my childhood days. Even until now, I still think this place as my secret base.

It sounded childish, but for real, I can be a ten years old in my heart sometimes. And with that household condition of mine, I really need a place to clear my thoughts from those life lessons and studying. Rather than running away, I'd use the word escape because it suits me better. Just imagine my house as a dragon lair and escaping was the only way to survive. Maybe that's the simplest way to describe how much I despise it. If I could, I wouldn't go back in forever.

The tree hovered above me as its shadow protected me from the glowing sun that's not even so bright anymore. The sky was slowly changing colours to darker ones. Crows were flying alone, and some people said that it's actually a sign for foul weather so good luck for me. Wish I could at least survive a night without getting any trouble. Now the only thing I need is a way to avoid the patrols.

The fact that I'm still wearing uniforms and hadn't cleaned myself made me regret for escaping this time, I should've done a better preparation. Sadly, my parents were just as annoying as usual. And taking a shower is actually one of methods that I use to refresh my brain, so yeah. I'm pretty much screwed right now.

On the distant, I could see the lights from the buildings there were switching on. Even from afar, I could already hear music blaring and some teenagers walked around the street with their friends, enjoying the nightlife.

Sometimes I wonder, how many people out there are as screwed as me? Those teenagers might look happy and all, but from what I'd observed over these past few years, it was actually just a stress reliever from their real problems. I pity them. Not only their life was screwed, but their individuals were already dead inside too. Some had lost their value.

People don't escape their lives by doing arts, going to psychiatrist, enjoying the nightlife, or anything out of routines. They basically mutated into someone new while doing the things they like. It's just some of them enjoyed their euphoria until they lost not only minds but themselves, too.

While slowly losing myself in a maze of thoughts, a tap was felt on my shoulder and that little gesture just helped me from drowning deeper.

Turning my head to the my left side―where I felt the tap came from―I saw Taehyung stared down to me with a questioning look.

"T―Tae," I stuttered as I stood up from my position. I padded my skirt and straighten the hem of it. "What are you doing here?"

He took out his phone and typed, 'I should be the one to ask you that question. Anyway, I was taking an evening stroll until I saw this homeless looking girl sitting beneath a tree.' My eyebrows furrowed and a playful scowl formed on my forehead. Taehyung tried to contain his laughter by covering his mouth.

"Do I look that bad?" I pouted as my hands made its way to my hip. "Although the homeless part wasn't wrong, honestly... I don't even know what's a home anymore," I trailed off as my voice became hoarse. My throat hurt and that's just a sign that my eyes couldn't hold back my tears anymore. So I just let the water slip like that.

The only thing I saw was Taehyung giving me a concerned look before my vision went blurry. My legs were trembling, it's going to fall in a matter of second.

Before that happened, though, Taehyung's arms were put against my neck and slowly, bringing me to lean on his chest. The energies on my legs reduced and he was like a pillar to support my whole body.

I cried my feelings out on his chest, taking a mental note to apologize later because I had stained his tee shirt with my worthless tears.

After a few moments, I managed to regain my composure and stopped the tears. I slowly pulled myself back from his hug.

"I'm sorry, Taehyung," I apologized and he just shook his head.

'No! I should've be the one to say sorry! I'm truly sorry if my words had offended you, Chaerin.'

I smiled at him, "No. You didn't do anything wrong. Thank you so much for lending your chest." I giggled while pointing to his now wet tee shirt.

He sheepishly laughed and focused back to his phone again, 'But Chaerin, if you feel homeless and need a home, I can be a home to you! A good girl like Chaerin deserves all the loves and good treatments!'