10 » fish

flashbacks | high school

KWON CHAERIN.

Ever since the beginning of this day, my mind has been traveling in a labyrinth I created myself, seeking for a way out. The word that he wrote made me wonder if the world has been treating him well or not. I'd never expected a seemingly cheerful person could have that kind of thought.

I spent my recess pondering, even forgot the fact that I had to eat or else my mom would scold me for not finishing my meals. But instead, my conscience brought me to the school's backyard; a place full of greenery and enjoying nature was a something I'd do whenever I have pollution of thoughts. Eventually, the greenery would act as a protagonist and suck all those negativity.

My feet landed on the young grass that I admire. I just love how grasses don't easily die even thought countless people had stepped on it. It amazes me how a small thing on earth can be an inspiration when humans who's known as the strongest individual are the ones who contaminate this world. If the earth were to be described as a theatre, then I'd put humans in the antagonist roles while the other supporting individuals who's deemed to be lower than humans as the protagonist.

I passed some flower beds that have different kinds of flower. The thought of watering them came across my mind so I went to search the watering can that usually placed near the pond area.

But when I arrived at my destination, my smile faltered and the thought of watering immediately vanished. Taehyung was there, crouching next to the pond while staring at the water, back facing me.

My mind was consumed by all the negativity at that time, which resulted what if he kills himself became the first thought that came into my head.

"Taehyung!" I instinctively pounced him from the back, trying to get him away from that pond but instead, the reversed version of the scene happened; we both lost our balance and stumbled over the rocks which surround the pond.

Thankfully, the pond was shallow enough for me to sit on the bottom of it. I let out the water out from my mouth and coughed continuously until everything was out.

The water level approximately reached my tibia level. But still, if Taehyung really lost his human instinct to survive and will to live, he could've just dipped his head into the water and let it suffocate him to death. Even the simplest thing could kill oneself. That's why we were given the instinct to survive dangerous situation and a good mind so we could protect our fragile selves.

I turned to the front to see Taehyung sitting across from me with his palms closing his face. I tilted my head and asked, "Taehyung?" Then he pointed at me and I followed the direction of his finger, just to see my underwear was being exposed and that was so embarrassing. I immediately shut the gaps between my thighs and used my skirt to cover it up. Thankfully, I was wearing my blazer that time so it could be the shield to cover my neck until my waist.

Suddenly, Taehyung threw his blazer to me while still covering half of his face. I nodded and took it instinctively, using it to cover the lower part of my body. "T―Thank you, Taehyung," I stammered and he just nodded at me.

"Anyways, what were you doing near the pond? Were you trying to kil―" My sentence was immediately cut off by him, waving his hands in denial, understanding what I was about to say.

He then pressed his palms together and put it into the water, began to wave it, trying to imitate a fish.

"Oh, were you looking for fishes?" I asked after he did the gesture. He gleefully smiled at me and bobbed his head simultaneously.

Then he did an eating gesture with his hands and I just chuckled, "Oh, so you wanted to feed the fishes?" He nodded once again at my guess and gave a thumbs up.

I became really embarrassed for doing something without thinking any further. But at least he's safe.

"If you want to feed the fishes then I know a good place. Let's go there together after the dismissal!" His face lighten up and nodded at my offer.

After the recess, we didn't go back to the class. We both spent the rest of our school hours, skipping the lessons by sleeping on the grass, letting the sun dry our uniforms. This was the first time I skipped lesson and who knows what would my parents do if they ever found out about this.

――

Taehyung and I walked to this small bridge that's surrounded with some trees with a river beneath it. He cheerfully approached the railings and looked down to the river. I smiled and went to his side.

"Try throwing a piece of bread and I bet the fishes will come to you," I told him and he nodded before taking a plastic of bread from his bag. He then ripped a tiny bit of it before throwing it into the water.

The giant carps swam to where the bread landed, began to fight over the tiny piece. "See?" I laughed and he grinned at me.

He threw another piece and another one after that, smiling while seeing the fishes eating the bread.

Before we knew it, the sky was no longer orange. Instead, the colours have became darker and the sun was going down the horizon. But I just didn't want to go home yet. I somehow enjoyed being here with Taehyung.

The last time I went here wasn't really pleasant to remember. It was a few years ago when I had a fight with my parents. I ended up going here and spent the night by feeding the fishes before finally returned home when the clock almost struck midnight.

'Chaerin, you should go home because the night wind isn't good for your body.' Taehyung showed me his notebook.

I gave a faint smile to him, "But I don't want to go home yet," I said and he playfully scowl at me.

Before I could react or anything, Taehyung reached out his hands and began buttoning it. I have this bad habit to unbutton my blazer whenever the school day ended. I just don't like to be in it all the time because it's hot there. But what Taehyung was doing to me made the soothing and chilly atmosphere became really hot and I could feel my hands sweating.

"T―Tae?" I questioned but he just smiled.

'Now go home. Let's go to this place again some other time, together.' He showed his notebook yet again and I finally nodded and gave in.

I smiled and nodded in agreement to him. He put back his book into his bag and grinned at me. He walked a few steps away while I was just there, admiring his back.

After walking a few centimeters away, he stopped and spun his body. He did the same gesture like back then; when we met at the playground for the first time.

He extended his index and middle fingers, flipping his palm while putting his signature smile. Back then, I didn't understand what that means but now I know.

It means; see you again.

――

That bridge exists in real life btw !! It's called Midori Bridge (: anime-culture.com/pilgrimage/silent-voice/327.html

Btw i got ideas to make short stories for tae and chim but all the on going books make me try to hold the urge to publish them hshdkd

Hope you enjoyed the chapter and thank you so much for 8k reads + 1k++ votes i feel so grateful

** this was supposed to be a depressing af chapter but idky it turned out so fluffy smh **