He leaned his head against the tree and sighed.

"I said, come down!"

Ashton hid his face in the tree, shaking inside his thin hoodie.

"Alright then, you little piece of shit, we'll do this the hard way."

And so they waited.

-

Ashton risked a glance down.

It had been hours since he had climbed the tree. The sun was just poking over the horizon.

The men were all asleep around the tree, except for one, a guard who was smoking and walking around.

Ashton shakily slid down a few branches. Leaves tumbled down and Ashton held his breath, but luckily the guard didn't notice.

He looked around. He couldn't go all the way down the tree, but there were other trees nearby. If he could get to them, he could he be far away by the time the agents woke up.

He looked around. The closest, sturdiest branch to him was about three feet away, give or take a few inches.

He studied it. He could make it, he had to.

He looked down again. The guard was standing a few feet away, facing the opposite direction. It was now or never.

Ashton took a deep breath, and leaped.

The rough bark of the tree scratched his hands but he managed to grab on. The branch made a crackling sound and Ashton grunted from the impact, alerting the guard.

"Hey! It's the hybrid! Get up!" He shouted, waking the other agents.

"C'mon! He's in that tree, trying to escape! Get him!"

The agents grabbed their guns. "Freeze or we'll shoot!" One shouted.

Ashton quickly pulled himself onto the branch and climbed around to the other side, jumping from tree to tree, but the guards were following.

Suddenly, Ashton saw a clearing up ahead. The forest was giving away to a small town.

An agent aimed his gun and fired.

Ashton gasped as the bullet struck the branch he was leaning on. The branch creaked.

The man fired again, and another joined in.

The branch was slowly coming down, taking Ashton with it.

Ashton cringed and jumped off, landing a few feet away from the tree. He hissed at a cut he got across his hand.

"Hey, stop!" Another gun shot pierced the air.

Ashton ran. A city was coming up. Across a highway, he had a chance of losing the agents.

Cars braked suddenly and honked as he ran across the street, not looking anywhere but ahead.

He ended up running into an alley that had a dead end. He could hear the agents behind him; they were catching up. He panicked, there was nowhere to hide in this alley.

Suddenly a hand reached out, grabbed a fistful of his shirt, and yanked him into a small space between a store and the dead end of the alley.

He cried out in surprise, and another hand smothered the sound.

"Shh!" A voice hissed and Ashton stopped struggling, his heart pounding so loud, he was sure it would give him away. His head spun. He hadn't eaten in days and was terribly low on energy.

He could hear the person next to him, also breathing hard.

"He went in here!" Someone shouted, and there was the pounding of footsteps.