69. The Will

I cannot express to you how much it means for you to please vote for my story. It takes less than a second, and it really helps my book to get recognised for the hundreds of hours I've put into writing it. Thank you for absolutely everything 

Twitter: WordsWithGem 
Snapchat: gemma.allan
Instagram: gemma.allan 

"Dad, do you mind if I just get some air?" I ask.

"That's fine sweetheart," he smiles, and I walk through the line of people. I am almost at the entrance before someone grabs my wrist, holding me in place.

"Scarlett!" I say, hugging her tightly.

"I'm so sorry I'm late babe. I couldn't find a park, and when I came in, the funeral had already started and I didn't want to walk down the aisle through the middle of it and –"

"It's fine," I say, "Just breathe. I'm grateful you've even turned up. So where did you end up parking?"

She thinks for a moment, and then I see her face drop as she realises something.

"Oh shit!" and then she covers her mouth as she let a swear word out inside of a cathedral.  "I left it in a loading zone. I can't get another ticket!" She says, hesitating to leave before I tell her to get a move on.

"Quick!" I tell her.

I watch as she runs out through the doors, almost knocking an older woman off her feet, and try to stifle my laughter as she apologises profusely.

I turn away, but as I do I notice her bump into someone, and something pulls my attention to her. Her body language is no longer rushed, but almost aggressive. Whoever she is talking to she clearly dislikes, and I scurry towards the doors, seeing if she needs my help in any way.

Not that I would be any help physically per say, but emotional support is always essential.

Her gesturing towards this male is clearly telling him to leave. I am only meters away when she sees me coming, and her facial features immediately change. The guy she is speaking to turns around and I stagger in absolute shock.

Max.

"Ava, it's okay – he was just leaving," she explains to me, though also ordering him at the same time.

I feel frozen in place as those blue eyes pierce right through me. I want to move, but my heels are planted firmly on the ground.

"I was doing nothing of the sort. Your well mannered friend is concerned that I am bothering you by being here," he sarcastically remarks. "Please tell her it's none of her business," he turns to me.

How dare he. The audacity of this... of this prick is making me furious.

"You have some nerve showing up here!" Scarlett says through gritted teeth. "You have intentionally sought out to ruin my best friend's relationship, so you've just made it my business. You need to leave. Like right now."

"Scarlett," I say, turning to her calmly. "Thank you. Thank you a lot, but I need to sort this out on my own. Go park your car, and I'll catch up with you in a sec."

She hesitates, before finally succumbing to my request.

"Call me if you need me," she says softly to me, before she gives Max a look of disgust.

And this is why I love her.

I lead him to an area shielded by trees, in hopes to be avoided by the photographers that are present at the venue.