11. The Aftermath

If you enjoy reading my story, and would like a sequel, please show some love by voting, and leave some comments telling me your thoughts about the story so far!

I walk the short stretch to my bedroom, and when I open the door, I find Marnie already there, pacing back and forth as if to process the event of the night. She corners me, and just when I think she's about to pounce on me in attack, she embraces me in a tight hug, resistant to let go.

"Ava? How?" she asks, tears now soaking into my clothing. Without giving me any time to answer she continues. "You are honestly the luckiest girl in the entire world right now," as she lets me go, wiping her eyes on her sleeve, her mascara now staining the skin underneath her eyes.

"No, Marnie," I say, stopping that idea from going any further in her mind. "You have the wrong idea. We're not... together. Not even in the slightest."

She rolls her eyes at me. "You're my sister, you can tell me! Plus, it was written all over both of your faces. All those secret glances exchanged between you both! I wasn't born yesterday."

Secret glances?

"No look Marnie. You're way off on this," and I proceed to tell her of how we met and the events leading up to this moment. She laughs to herself and shakes her head in complete wonder.

"Trust this to happen to someone who doesn't even like One Direction! It's actually so unfair and you know it. Why does this never happen to actual fans?"

"I don't dislike One Direction," I reply defensively.

"Well, there's still something going on, even if you are in denial about it. Mum agrees," she replies smugly, as if Mum's say is final.

Great. Yet another person I need to convince.

"Look! He doesn't like me!" I blurt out, "He pulled the friend line on me."

She screws up her face in confusion. "What friend line?"

"Like oh, I'm glad we're friends, or I'm glad to have a friend here. I was basically friend zoned. Very pitiful to watch, considering I thought something more was happening. Like at first I knew there wasn't a chance in hell for me, then later on I thought that maybe it might... but then-"

"Shut up!" She snaps, holding her chin in deep thought. "I'm still convinced he's into you. Did he arrange to catch up or anything?" she enquires.

Wow. She's really on the firing line tonight.

"Well... technically. Sort of..." I falter.

She gives me a frustrated look to elaborate on my comment.

"He told me people have found out that Niall is planning on visiting Melbourne... so most likely they'll find out about his whereabouts too."

"And anyone who's with him," Marnie remarks, almost having a lightbulb moment. "So basically what he's saying is that while Niall is here, they'll discover Harry's whereabouts. And if he's hanging out with you, then you could consequently be involved in it all."

"Pretty much." I nod.

"Perfect!" Marnie rejoices, as I watch on in confusion. "Don't you see Ava? He wants to continue whatever this is, but respects your wishes to remain as you are now. Untouched by the media and all that jazz. He's probably used to dating girls who are already well known, and this is good for both of you."

"Look... I don't know. I don't know if I'm ready for this. Maybe I should cut contact between us before I start to get any serious feelings for him? He even said himself that he's not staying here for very long."