Chapter Forty-Three No Thinking

Start from the beginning

     An idea popped into my head and I slam on the brakes making a sharp left turn and then speeding off again. I'm not going to even think about how this could be the stupidest idea I've ever come up with. That's what I'm supposed to do, right? Not think? Okay, so let's not think—no thinking for me. No thinking Ryder. Just no thinking in general. Let's do this. I rev my engine speeding up before taking a sharp turn left again and going as fast as I can down the road. Sam slaps my arm lightly, but I knew what she was telling me.

     She was telling me to slow down. Not a problem. The place I was heading to is up ahead anyway. I slow down and pull over next to the curb in front of a building. Sam jumps off and yanks her helmet off before leaning over like she's about to throw up. "Please don't do that," I say, shaking my head. "I will disown you." She shakes her head and looks up at me through all the hair on her face.

     "Why were you driving like that?" She asks, standing up straight now. "We almost died millions of times in a matter of like ten seconds."

     "One," I say, holding up a finger. "That's not true or possible. Two," I hold up another finger. "You're the one who told me not to think. That's what I'm doing." She rolls her eyes and I stand up and get off my bike, heading toward the building.

     "Where are we anyway?" She asks as I try to hide a smile.

     "A gang house." I say in a casual tone.

     "Oh, a gang house. I was expecting something bad like- wait, what?" She asks worriedly. She is so thinking right now. "You mean it's an actual..."

     "Yup," I say, stopping at the door and turning to face her. "It's an actual gang house. And we're going inside."

     "We're going inside?" She asks, shocked. "You can't be serious. We could die in there. We could never come back out. What happens if-"

     "It's okay," I say, shrugging, as I start to smirk. "Just don't think about it." Sam swallows.

     "Rex, I don't know about-"

     "Just don't think about it," I repeat. "That's what today is all about. So, no thinking. If I can't, you can't either." She hesitates before swallowing again.

     "Well, if we're not thinking, why don't we sneak inside?" She asks like she's worried I'll agree.

     "That's a splendid idea," I say, clapping my hands together excitedly, and to think I was about to just go and knock on the door. I shake my head in disappointment before I walk down the stairs and I head to go around back. "Let's sneak inside."

     "Do you know this gang?" Sam asks as she follows me around.

     "I know of them." I say.

     "Do you know anyone in it?" She asks and I find a window and push it up smiling as it slides open.

     "Maybe three of them," I say. Staring at the open window. "Out of a lot."

     "At least you know some of them." She says and I face her.

     "Yeah, but I know two of them aren't here." I say, watching her pale.

     "Just don't think about it." She says to herself, closing her eyes. "Just don't think about it." She nods and opens her eyes as she smiles. "Okay, let's do this."

     "If you say so." I smile before jumping and pulling myself through the window. I silently land on the floor of the room I'm in before I motion for her to follow and I head to the door and I crack it open, peeking out. It looks clear to me. I hear a thud behind me and I slowly look to see Sam on the ground. I open my mouth to whisper shout at her when I hear footsteps coming and I pale. I motion for her to close the window and hide as she does and hides in the closet near her and I start to move, but the door opens and I flatten myself against the wall as the door stops when it's about to touch me. I hold my breath.