Chapter Twenty-Six His Girl

I Won't Give Up- Jason Mars

     She was tough. Really tough. I'd knock her down, but she kept getting back up. Yeah, she's knocked me down a couple of times too, and I've gotten back up, but we're both worn out. I can see it on her and I know she can see I'm tired too, but neither of us chooses to cave in. We have our hands raised to our faces, we are panting as if we'd just run a mile, and we are waiting for each other to make a move neither of us wants to make. It's like we are equal.

     Having enough of waiting around, we lunge at each other, meeting each other halfway and we both fall together to the ground. Our punches were now weak but still hurt now and then. This is the worst fight I've ever been in. It's taking forever. I roll away from her and stand up as she stands, also. We were both so tired. Both of us feel as if we're about to fall over but somehow manage to stand straight. We've been fighting for what seems like hours; I don't know how either of us is still going. One of us needs to finish this.

     I ball my hand into a fist and throw a punch she was too slow to dodge, hitting her in the face and knocking her to the ground. She spits on the ground and gives me a glare. Probably because I am giving her one, too. She pushes herself back up as I let out an annoyed groan. Apparently, neither of us could be knocked down. "I'm calling it," Ralph shouts over the rain. It wasn't raining as bad, but it was still raining. The girl with white hair sighs and turns her attention to Ralph. "Don't give me that look. You two have been fighting for two hours. I'm calling it. It's a tie."

     She's about to groan, but then she looks at me for some reason. I groaned. She can too. She opens her mouth like she is about to ask something, but her eyes travel behind me and she snaps it shut, her face going hard. What, is she not allowed to show emotion? I start to turn around as I shake my head. God, she's like- my eyes meet hazel ones making nothing, but anger fills me. Dallas. How did he find me? He looks emotionless, too, as he looks at someone over my shoulder. I look to see the girl with white hair. She's still staring at him.

     They were communicating with each other using their eyes. Did they know each other? Why should I care? Anything that involves Dallas is none of my business. Well, now is my chance to escape. They're both focused on each other. The crowd disperses and I go in the middle of the people escaping with them, keeping my head down low. "Damn it." I hear Dallas mutter, but I don't look around. "Rex!" He shouts as someone grabs the back of my collar and drags me from the crowd. I look, seeing a man I've never seen before. He knots the back of my shirt in his hand as he drags me back.

     "This the one you're looking for?" The man behind me asks as he stops in front of Dallas. I don't look at him. I cross my arms and look at anything but him.

     "That's her," Dallas steps toward me. "Now let her go." The man doesn't let go of me. No, he pulls me back by my shirt, closer to him, instead making me stumble a bit, uncrossing my arms.

     "Why? Can't I have a go at her?" The man asks. Today was not this man's day. Anger flares in my eyes as Dallas steps forward angrily, but I beat him to it. I elbow the man hard in the gut and I bring my foot up, stomping it down on his before spinning and kicking him across the face. The man growls about to lunge at me but Dallas pulls me behind him.

     "David!" A voice snaps, making David freeze, and all of us look. It was the white-haired girl. "Enough." She says calmly now that she has all of our attention. "If you keep messing with his girl and pushing his buttons, I won't stop him from killing you." What did she say? I narrow my eyes at her. Why do they keep calling me his girl? I step forward around Dallas.

     "I'm not his-" I start, but Dallas suddenly clamps a hand over my mouth and pulls me against him to where my back is pressed against his front.