Chapter Twenty-Seven The Message

At My Best- Machine Gun Kelly

     School again. Why? I don't know. It'd be an understatement if I said I am nervous. I am very scared. I don't watch as Dallas goes over to where Sierra is and I don't watch as she grabs him and presses her lips to his. Okay, I am watching subtly though, if that makes it any better. Forcing myself to stop watching them, I walk toward my locker, where Archer and Leo follow me. It was annoying how they just kept following me even though we got here like five seconds ago. Yay, me.

     "I don't need bodyguards." I mutter, opening my locker and keeping my back to them.

     "You don't need us, or you don't want us?" Leo asks as I pick up the books I need.

     "Both." I say, spotting Sam coming toward me and I do my best not to smile. By the look on her face, she had a plan to get me out of this—a plan to get me away from the boys. I was just gonna go along with whatever she had to say.

     "Thank God you're here. Now please come to the bathroom with me." She whines as soon as she gets to me. I glance at Leo and Archer to see them give each other a look.

     "Why does Rex need to go with you to the bathroom?" Leo asks.

     "It's a girl thing. You guys wouldn't understand." I say, waving his question away as Sam hooks her arms with mine and begins to drag me with her.

     "A girl was possessed and another was kidnapped. Girls have to go in pairs." Sam says as they follow.

     "Okay, but this isn't Harry Potter." Archer says, annoyed. That's true.

     "And last time you both went into a bathroom, Rex came out with a black eye." Leo states. That was also true.

     "Okay, that was not our fault," I say as we stop outside the bathroom door. "Are you gonna let us go or not?"

     "I don't know." Archer says. By the looks on their faces, they weren't gonna let me go. I have to come up with something.

     "And Dallas is-" I grab my stomach and lean forward, crying out in pain. Both of their faces go to concern as Sam's goes to confused. I would understand why.

     "What's wrong?" Archer asks, holding my shoulder. "Are you okay?" Out of the corner of my eyes, I see someone staring, but I don't pay them any attention.

     "Cramps." I say in a pained voice as Sam makes an 'O' shape with her mouth before she nods.

     "Oh no, we need to get her to the bathroom now." Sam says, grabbing my shoulders.

     "What? Why?" Leo asks.

     "Why do you think?" Sam snaps angrily.

     "My period is starting," I state in another pained voice as Archer jumps away from me and shakes his hand like I just gave him a disease. For a second, I lose my act and stand up, glaring at him. "It's not a disease." I say, annoyed when Sam punches me in the gut, which makes me lean over, groaning in real pain.

     "Are you gonna let us go?" She asks and they both immediately nod as Sam throws me into the door. The door swings open and I land on the ground as she closes it and looks down at me. "That was good, the period thing." She says, nodding. I stand up on my own.

     "You punched me." I state.

     "That's because you forgot your act. I helped you remember."

     "Well, Archer jumped away from me like I had some sort of disease."

     "To boys, when girls get their periods, we do have a disease." My phone suddenly goes off, as Sam's also does. With narrow eyes, we pull out our phones and look. It was a message from an unknown number. "The same number texted me." She says, looking at my phone screen and then back to hers.