Chapter Twenty-Eight Girls and Money, My Lord

River- Ed Sheeran & Eminem

     I don't know where to go or what to do, so I just walk. I don't go to Dallas' house. Why would I? Why would I continue to live with him after everything that's happened? After everything he's done to me? Why does he hate me so much? Did I do something to deserve this? I look down at my arms wrapped around my stomach and my shoulders hunched over. It's cold out here, but I continue to walk. At this point, I'm done. I'm done with everything. So... I'm going home.

(Dallas POV)

     I went back to the apartment as quickly as I could. I don't know what to expect. Rex to be sitting on the couch eating a bucket of ice cream and watching the tv? Maybe Rex lying in bed with the door locked so that I couldn't get in? But that didn't stop me last time. It wouldn't stop me this time either, but what I didn't expect was the door to the bedroom to be open. Open only slightly, but it was still open. That was all I needed to see to know she wasn't here. She hates it when the door is open. I remembered that day so clearly.

     I walked out of the room and went to the kitchen to get the tray of food. She was not coming out of her room and if she wasn't gonna come out, I was gonna go in. I have to do something to show her I'm not a bad guy. I don't want her to hate me. No, I wanted the opposite. So I have to do something, and if I can't get her out of the room... I already told you, so you know. I pick up the tray and go back into the room, going to the other side of the bed and setting the tray on the nightstand.

     I stare down at the food I made. I can't believe I cooked. The last time I cooked was for my dad when he came home from the war. The next time he left, he came back, but he wasn't the same. He was different. He had changed. Maybe I changed after that day too. I think all of us, my sister and my mom. All changed after that day. Shaking my head, I look at her to find her staring at the doorway. She looked conflicted with emotions. She looked as if she were- I can't believe I'm gonna say this- constipated.

     "Why do you look like that?" I ask with narrow eyes. It was kind of weird and creepy, but that's Rex for you.

     "You left the door open." She whines as I give her a look. She's complaining... because I left the door open? What? Is the boogie man gonna walk through the door and get her? She may not know this, but even if it did, it would never get her. It wouldn't even get close.

     "Seriously?" I ask, almost annoyed as she points. I hate to admit it, but it was kind of cute. She always acts so tough. I've never really seen this side of her. It was definitely cute coming from her. If any other girl did this, I would be annoyed and find the quickest escape. But Rex isn't any other girl. She's just Rex.

     "I closed the door for a reason. And you just barge in and leave it wide open. I don't like it when the door is wide open." She says as she shifts in her spot on the bed. "It feels weird."

     "It feels weird?" I ask, and she nods. How does it feel weird? It's probably nothing I would ever understand, but for Rex, I guess I'm gonna have to just go with it. "Fine." I head over to the door and close it. "Are you happy now?"

     It's all those little moments where she's happy that I can't get out of my head. Her smile, her laugh. It's all there. You just have to find a way to get it out. It hurts. It really hurts. To see her smiling, but then as soon as her eyes meet mine, the smile disappears. It hurts to see her laughing with another man and not with me. And now she's gone, not here. Should I check her room, just in case? Maybe I could try calling her. I pull out my phone and let my finger hover over her name.

     What's the point? She won't answer anyways. She hates me. She hates me, but I don't think I can live with that. She doesn't have to know, but I'm going to find out who sent that message, and when I find out who, they might not live to see an hour from now.