Chapter Fifty-Six Find A Way Out

How Long- Charlie Puth

(Dallas's POV)

     "So, we don't know where she is. We don't know what she's doing. Don't know where she's going. And we don't know who she's with if she's even with anyone." Archer says, listing things off his fingers. I look at Eddie, but he is just typing away on his computer doing whatever it is Eddie does. I've learned over the years not to question him. It just has a bad result in the end. I just hope whatever he's doing is relevant to this conversation. He hesitates before he stops typing. Eddie holds up his hand and glances back over his shoulder at us.

     "We also don't know where Rocco is." He says and then goes back to typing. I glare at the back of his head. Why does Eddie always seem to say the stupid stuff? Oh, Rocco isn't here with us? Hell, I thought he was sitting here next to me. He can't just disappear, I swear I just saw him. I roll my eyes, note the sarcasm. Why does Eddie have to be so so stupid? Idiotic?

     "Yes, Eddie, thank you for pointing that out. I completely forgot." I say as he shoots me with a finger gun and clicks his tongue but I just roll my eyes. Eddie can really be something. I shake my head, looking at Archer. He raises his arms.

     "Don't look at me, Eddie's the one that got you into this mess in the first place," Archer says, and Eddie stops typing to glare at Archer. I just sit back in my chair and begin to think again. Think about what? Well, think about where the hell Rex is, of course. She could be anywhere doing anything with anyone. Why would she leave just like that all of a sudden? She can't do that to me. She can't walk into my life, make me care, and then leave. That's not how this is supposed to work.

     "That's not true," Eddie says, glaring at Archer. "Rex snuck out all on her own, so even if I didn't get Dallas out of the apartment, she would have been taken anyway." A beeping sound comes from the computer Eddie's on and he stops and looks at it.

     "What is it?" I ask. "Is it anything important?" Eddie hesitates, but then he starts typing again.

     "She's heading toward... toward Minnesota," Eddie says, but he keeps staring at the computer. "She just stopped right inside of Minnesota. She's not moving anymore." I stand up and go to him, standing over his shoulder. "She's moving... somewhere else, but she's moving much slower. Walking, maybe?" He shrugs and I stand up straight, shaking my head.

     "Why would she go all the way to Minnesota? If she wanted to go there, she would have gone when her mom invited her to stay. She doesn't even know what's going on, it just doesn't make any sense." I say, thinking to myself. Suddenly I freeze. What if the guy has her again?

     "Unless she's not alone." Archer points out again. "She could be with someone who knows what's going on, and this person could be filling her in."

      "Hey," Eddie says, stopping. "Rex isn't here. Rocco isn't here." He stops again and turns around to look at both of us. "What if Rocco's the one with Rex? He knows a lot. He's always with Boss. He could be the one filling her in, helping her."

     "It makes sense," Archer says. "We can't seem to contact either one of them. Rocco could be with her. He knows the stakes and he knows you." He looks at me. "So it makes sense for him to help her. As for taking her to Minnesota, I don't know why." I look to Eddie, who is already watching me as he nods, turning back to his computer. I'd rather believe Rocco has her than Jay.

     "On it." He says and begins typing, his fingers zooming over the keyboard. I walk away from my chair and over to the window, looking out.

     "I don't know if we can track Rocco," Archer says and I look back at him to see him shaking his head. "He's one of us; we all have the same kind of phone. He's smart. If he knew we could track him, he wouldn't keep a phone on him that we could track. If he's trying to lay low, he knows how to." We've had to lay low before, so I know it's true. All of us know what to do to disappear.