Chapter Thirty-Five Leo Is Dead

Bang Bang- Ariana, Jessie J, and Nicki Minaj

     I was awake when I heard them arguing. It is between Pam and Sam. I don't want it to be, but it is about me. They must've either thought I am still sleeping or that they are being quiet, but I'm not, and they aren't. Pam is arguing to get the police involved, call someone, call Dallas, she even suggested. Sam is saying no. She is saying that the police don't need to be involved and neither did Dallas. I am in between as I listen to both points.

     The only thing I know is that I don't want Dallas to know. My phone begins ringing again, stopping their arguing. I glance at the screen seeing Dallas' name. Again. I shake my head and slowly turn away from it, fighting through the pain. He keeps calling and calling. Does he know about Leo yet? If he did, why does he keep calling me? Isn't he mad at me? I would be. I am. I broke a promise. I promised him I'd stay at his apartment last night. I promised him. He's been blowing up my phone since last night. I haven't answered a single call.

     The bedroom door slightly opens and a small light comes into the room. I close my eyes and steady my breathing. "Who do you think keeps calling her?" Pam asks.

     "It could be a family member. Her father, maybe her mother." Sam says.

     "Or it could be your brother." Pam says, and I want to scream. I know what is coming—another argument.

     "My brother wouldn't care if Japan bombed us. He doesn't care about her either." Sam grumbles and I narrow my eyes. Wow. Thanks, Sam. I roll my eyes.

     "He cares about her. He cares about her a lot. He needs to know that she's here probably dying because you people don't want to go to a hospital." Pam says.

     "I'm sure she's fine." But her unsure voice conflicts with her words.

     "Are you going to say that to the police when she dies in your room? 'I thought she was fine'." Pam says, mimicking her. I feel it burning in my throat. Another scream. They are pissing me off.

     "This isn't funny," Sam retorts. "This isn't a joke-"

     "You're right. It isn't a joke!" Pam shouts. "That's why we need to go to a hospital! So she can get help! Don't you understand she could be dying in there and you're over here just saying she's fine! She's clearly not fine! She's passed out on your bed!" Anger boils through me as I try to keep it down.

     "She doesn't want to go to a hospital!" Sam shouts back. "She doesn't want the police involved! I'm going to follow what she wants and you can get over it! Why are you still here anyway? It's not like you care about her, you being Sierra's friend and all!"

     "So that's why you don't like me? Because I'm friends with Sierra? I didn't know Rex' side! I didn't know anything! I could do nothing to stop Sierra. Even if I tried, nothing would happen!" Pam yells. I can't deal with this. I force myself through the pain to get out of bed, limp to the balcony, and go outside. I close the doors behind me and go to the edge leaning on the railing, trying to hold back another scream and trying to hold myself together. Trying to hold it all together. Their arguing isn't helping. They. Are. Getting. On. My. Last. Nerve. I groan angrily from the pain, wrapping my arm across my stomach like I am holding my insides together.

     Why can't they just get along? Why do they have to be arguing? Are they trying to kill me? I sigh. Calm down, Rex. It's all okay. I start calming down, but the searing pain erupts at once, causing me to hiss in pain and hold my stomach tighter, making it hurt more. "Why aren't you answering my calls?" A voice says from in front of me. I jump, crying and about to scream, but a hand covers my mouth. There is a pause as I keep my eyes closed, scared to open them. "Rex?" My eyes snap open to see Dallas standing there. When the hell did he get here? How the hell did he get here?