Chapter Thirty-Three Worst Enemy

Sorry Not Sorry- Demi Lovato

    Students walk all around, slower at this time of day than any other. Well, there isn't really a rush unless you want to get more food than anyone else. It's lunchtime, after all, and the cooks never make enough. They make enough for the first hundred and then they give less and less to each student after that. School sucks like that. School sucks every other way too, but for now, we're talking about the food. The food that's barely edible.

     Someone bumps my shoulder as I make my way to my locker, and anger fills me as I take deep breaths, trying to calm down. Ever have one of those days where everything is going good, and then one small thing happens, and- boom- you're angry? Yeah, that's what just happened when the person bumped into me and didn't say sorry. Somehow, it all was going good. Other than seeing Sierra and winning yet another argument with her, my day was just peachy.

     I swear, Sierra starts shit faster than Dory can forget. Who's Dory, you might ask? Well, if you ask that watch a movie. Dory, from Nemo. Yeah, that's the one. I shake my head, getting out of my thoughts and reaching my locker with Sam on my other side. She is fidgeting and every time she talks, she stutters for some reason. Something is up with her, but I don't want to pry into it. If she wants to tell me, she will tell me. I'm not gonna make Sam tell me something she doesn't want to tell me- Dallas.

     "A-are you sure you want to be here? W-why would anyone want to be here? I- I mean, it's school, n- no one wants to be here. " Sam says, looking around nervously. Ignoring it, I open my locker.

     "It's all fine," I say, putting books in my locker before taking some out. "I'm fine anyway. If Sierra wants to argue over stupid things again, she can argue over stupid things again."

     "W- what if she does something to us? O- or what if she starts a fight? L- like an actual fight? W- what do we do then?" She asks. Her stutter is starting to get annoying. Just ignore it, Ryder. It's fine.

     "We'll fight back," I say confidently before closing my locker and facing her. "Okay, I wasn't going to ask, but-"

     "Rex!" A voice shouts from down the hall as my face goes into a blank stare over Sam's shoulder. It's a voice that makes me want to kill myself every time I hear it. It's a voice that makes my ears bleed. A voice that will scare away vultures. A voice that wil- make me get lost in my thoughts so I don't have to hear it again. Sierra's voice. Sam seems to pale as I turn around and face her.

     "What do you want, Sierr- oh my God." I cover my mouth with shock as she gets closer and closer to me with a furious glint in her eyes and clenched fists at her side. Sierra's long, natural, beautiful blond hair is now hot pink. She stops a few feet away from me as I look back at Sam, asking her a question with my eyes.

     Did you do this? I ask with my eyes. Sam gives a slight, wide-eyed nod before I turn back to Sierra. Oh boy. This is going to be hard to explain to anyone.

     "You are so dead." Sierra growls. "How could you do this to my hair?"

     "Well, I thought I was helping," I say. "Your hair was so plain before. Now it's better." She growls, her shoulders flexing with anger. Why am I covering for Sam? Why can't Sam just say she did it? Why does she have to hide behind me all the time? Maybe because you always take the blame without giving her a chance to do it herself. Well, does she want to take the blame for this one? I look back at Sam and she is biting her nails, looking around at anything but Sierra's hair.

     "Just wait until Dallas finds out." She growls, stepping forward.

     "What's he gonna do? Kick me out of his house? That'd be a plus, not a minus." I say, staying where I was.