Chapter Forty-Three No Thinking

Start from the beginning

     "You're right." She says taking a few things off the shelf. "We're not thinking today." If I were thinking, I'd be confused as to why she's not worried... but I'm not. We split up and roam the aisles just looking for something interesting. I glance up at the clerk to find him just staring at the cash register. He wasn't moving, he wasn't blinking, he was just staring. I wonder what he's thinking about. He seems really into it, whatever it is. He must be completely zoned out. Okay, that's me every day in school. That's me every day, period.

     I keep roaming around until everything on me is full and then I meet Sam by the doors. The clerk was still zoned out. Okay but really, me everyday. I look at Sam and nod toward the zoned-out clerk. "What do you wanna do to him?" Sam asks excitedly. I don't even think about what to do to him. Well, because I'm not supposed to think. Is Sam secretly thinking? I shake my head. No thinking Ryder. No thinking. Suddenly a smile forms on my face.

     "That's the same smile as when you came up with this idea." She says. "Whatever it is, let's do it." I pull out the spray cheese and wiggle it in front of her face.

     "You wanna spray him?" I ask, offering her the bottle. She smiles.

     "I'd be honored." She says, taking it from me. "Just be prepared to run."

     "How about I start up my bike?" I ask, backing up towards the door a few steps. "Faster escape."

     "Smart." She says, nodding. "Don't fall asleep on me."

     "This is too exciting," I say. "Like I'll fall asleep on you."

     "Just be watching and waiting." She says, slightly turning to go to the guy.

     "Oh, I'll be watching alright." I say, smirking. I walk out the door and I get on my bike, sitting on it and holding my helmet in my lap. I turn and watch through the window as Sam inches toward the man at the register, holding the spray cheese behind her back. Oh, this is going to be so good. I shake my leg, too excited to stay still, waiting for what I know is going to happen. She gets to the counter, the guy still completely zoned out, before she whips out the cheese spray and starts spraying him. The man jumps back, running into the shelves behind him but Sam keeps spraying the cheese on the man.

     The man holds up his arms, trying to block the cheese from hitting him when the cheese stops coming out. Sam throws it and runs toward me as the man looks up in shock. I start laughing, holding my stomach as Sam rushes out the door and the man's head watches her, still frozen in shock, before suddenly his eyes snap to me. I freeze, my smiles leaving my face as Sam jumps on behind me. "Hey." Sam says behind me but I don't listen to her. The man and I continue staring at each other. Well, of course, we keep staring at each other. It was a man I saw before.

     It was the man that beat me up. The man that killed Leo. The man that wanted to kill me. The man that tried to kill me. The man that killed two people in one day. The man that ran away like a coward when Sam and Pam found me. When Pam shouted at him, he ran. When they watched Leo die. They never actually saw his face. The man I lied to Dallas about. The only man that was there with Leo and me. The man that beat me so bad, that it killed the baby I didn't know I was carrying. The man that killed Roscoe's baby. It was Adam. Oh, we are so dead.

     "Hey!" Sam shouts as I feel a punch in my shoulder and I blink, shaking my head. Escape. Right. I slam my helmet on and I zoom off, pulling out in front of a car, making them slam on their brakes and honk at me, but I didn't care. Sam didn't want me to think, but after that, how could I not? I shake my head and run a red light swerving past cars as they, too honk at me like that was going to do anything. Like that would stop me. I needed to do something else. Something to get me to not think. Something dangerous. Now I really didn't want to think. We just robbed a store, now what can we do?