Little One

Chapter Forty

Little One

The night was turning crisp as I made my way down the long De Lutha Academy driveway. My hands were stuffed into my jacket pockets trying to fight the cold as best as I could. As much as I may like this walk, right now being out here at this time and this temperature was less than enjoyable.

Winter is defiantly on its way. I thought as I kicked the dirt beneath me making my shoe look even scruffier than it already was.

I was strangely calm compared to a few hours ago when I was buzzing with excitement and nerves. It's just now I'm here not everything is so daunting and scary.

It was dark out but inside I was shinning.

I reached behind me for my phone which sat in my bags back pocket. I checked the time. 12:01.

Slipping my phone into my jacket pocket I hiked my bag up with my two thumbs. I hadn't bought much with me, Nathan hadn't said anything about the matter so I just anticipated the usual things when staying the weekend away. Clothes, toothbrush, book and so on, it was as if I were on my way to a sleepover. Oh and I can't forget, I had somehow managed to stuff my laptop in my bag (god knows how it fit) with the strict instructions from Colette to write a blog post over the weekend. Not sure how I was going to find the time but I couldn't refuse her because after the message from Darren Mathews we've been bombarded with new readers and Colette is unbelievably stressed by the idea. I am to to be honest.

I had reached the locked gate and I smirked from the time I had last come here with everyone. My birthday was extremely fun, even if I still can't remember most of what happened that night ...

I turned, walking through the forest way trying my hardest not to slip on the tree roots that lay sneakily on the floor. It wasn't a long walk to the other gate, but it was far enough to get lost if I didn't remember the right way. Luckily I did though and it was the sound of a running car engine that snapped up my attention.

Staying a few steps behind the clearing I saw a figure leaning against a smart black car.

Nathan was here. He wasn't standing my way, his back was towards me.

I knew it was rude to stare but I couldn't bring myself to announce my presence yet. So I stood cautiously behind the huge oak tree just starring.

"Little one" He said after a few minutes and I froze "I know your there"

I breathed out a deep sigh- of course he'd know he's a vampire- and stepped away from the tree just as he turned round to me. His eyes narrowed on me slightly "You're late"

"It's a long walk" I said in my defense.

"That is true" Nathan paused reaching down to grab open the car door "Come on then"

I glanced down at the car and frowned "I didn't know you had a car"

"Don't most people?" He asked raising his eyebrow. Nathan looked strange in the darkness, his eyes looked darker and more intense and his skin looked paler. It was scary but at the same time kind of beautiful.

"I guess so" I swallowed looking anywhere but his eyes "But you're not most people"

He chuckled "Would you rather I flew you with my bat wings instead?"

"Is that a joke?" I asked only slightly curious to whether he actually did turn into a bat or ...

"Of course" He looked bemused by me which only made me annoyed.

I walked out of the forest and into the light of the glowing moon. I gazed up at it for a second having not noticed it before this.

"Full moon" Nathan said drawing my eyes away from the moon, he grinned down at me "werewolves"