The Town

Chapter Forty-four

The Town

We had reached the quaint town of 'Crystal Side'. Cobbled streets and flower potted gardens made me think of a perfect retreat for the retired. It was drawing on darkness and the majority of houses we drove past had lights out meaning Nathan's headlights were the only source of light for some while.

It wasn't until sometime that we found some sign of life. We had reached what was obviously their version of a centre of town. Light glowed of the green supermarket and it appeared to be the only one they had. An old post office stood beside it, it looked rundown and closed for the night. Young girls giggling and wailing from their intoxicated selves were walking away from a rustic looking pub. 'The old bell and swan' read the sign that hung above the door although half of the letters had faded and the picture bellow was beyond recognition.

I noticed Nathan's grip on the steering tighten and the real reason behind why we were here tonight finally sunk in fully. He was going to feed on a person and I was going to let him.

I felt the confidence I had earlier start to slip away. My doubts overpowering me to take a step back and really have a look at was going to happen. What would've Grandpa said?

Nathan parked up on the side of the road. I hadn't seen one sign of traffic since arriving and I doubt any would be passing through here.

I watched his hands as they turned of the engine, flicking his car keys into his hand.

"Lailah ..." He sighed and his pause of hesitation in his voice made me look up "Are you ok with this? You know we can always go back home"

I almost said yes that I was too much of a chicken and couldn't handle it but what would be the point of that? We hadn't drove all this way just to return home. So I shook my head forcing a smile as if this were a normal situation to be sitting in a car convincing a Vampire to go feed on some person's blood "No, I'm fine what's the plan?"

Nathan didn't look sure put didn't press "The plan is I go in the pub and you wait in the car patiently until I return"

I thought this over for approximately 0.01 seconds "you're kidding me? There's no way your going in and having all the fun for your self. I'm coming too"

"You think I'm going there to have fun?" He inquired smiling slightly to himself "honey I'm getting dinner"

Somehow his words ran right through me running a course down my spine that made me shiver. My eyes narrowed and I sat a little taller in my seat "I find it hard to believe that that all you get out of this is a full stomach. I bet you love the chase of the real human, scaring them with your Royalty and knowing they'll do exactly what you want if you tell them too" His dark eyes intensified as I spoke the hunger stirring in the depth of them "otherwise why not just drink the blood the school donates" I thought bitterly but smirked knowing he couldn't defend himself on that one.

"Maybe I would if I allowed you to donate" He grinned as my eyes widened.

"You're disgusting" I scoffed but I could tell he knew I didn't mean it.

"Listen Lailah I know you think that somehow feeding of defenseless people's blood gives me some sort of thrill but in reality this isn't the movies. I do what I have to survive, I don't take pleasure in watching people suffer and therefore I try to make it as quick and painless as I can" he reached a hand across to my thigh and lightly trailed down "It's a whole different ball game if their willing"

My breath faltered at his words and I watched his fingertips trail patterns on my thigh that made my head dizzy. I pushed his hand away before I started to forget the reason why we had made this trip.

Nathan chuckled lightly at this unbuckling his seatbelt.

"Wait please let me come too" I said quickly unbuckling my own seatbelt in the process.

"It's not safe, I can't leave you at the bar alone" He said with a look that was more and intended for a five year old.

"I'm not a child Nathan, I can look after myself" and with that I swung open the passenger door and hopped out of the car.

He was quick to follow slamming the passenger door closed behind him. He turned to me with a warning in eyes "get back in the car Lailah"

"I don't want to" I said simply and turned on my heels towards the Pub.

He caught my hand dragging him close to my side "You do exactly what I say in there, if you leave my sights for even one moment I swear Lailah they'll be trouble"

I rolled my eyes turning to look up at him "nothing's going to happen seriously chill"

He brought my hand to his lips and I felt myself run red with the unexpected intimacy.

"We can never be too safe" he mumbled rubbing his lips over my hand his eyes never leaving mine. And for that moment I was speechless, wanting nothing more for him to kiss me right there in the middle of the street. And going by the look in his eyes I could tell he wanted to too.

The doors of the Pub then opened with a sound that echoed and out came a party of one. She was a young woman barely above her twenties and she had her coppery ginger hair slicked back into a smart ponytail. She hugged her purple coat closely around her and she looked to shivering from the cold.

Nathan had noticed her too and I felt my hand slowly lower from his lips as his attention was elsewhere. The moment was gone and Nathan had found his perfect victim.

The woman passed us without a single glance are way but I wasn't paying attention to her anymore. Nathan's eyes were trailed on her as if she were walking breathing piece of steak. I noticed his pulse was quickening in his throat and his jaw clamp down as if he were trying to fight his urges.

"Go wait inside the car" Nathan pressed his car keys into my hand and didn't even wait to look back as he was already walking down the street following the woman.

I swallowed my feelings down low and pocked the keys instead walking towards the 'The old bell and swan'.

*********************************************

Hi Ya'll,

Oh dear what is Lailah doing? What is Nathan doing??? Sometimes I just don't know with them too. *.*

Sorry it's been a while and half. I finally got the time to write now cause I'm ill so yay for something.

Anyway soon I'll be adding a new story to this account. It's been a while since I had any new materiel on this page so if you'd like to check it out that'll be much appreciated. It's called 'soundless sleep'.

xx