Their Sanctuary

Chapter Forty-five

Their Sanctuary

Smoke drifted past my face as soon as the pub door swung closed behind me, the smell of tabacco consumed the air. It was busy inside , a rowdy bunch of men sat at the bar joking with the bartender. Bellowing over in laughter and hitting each other on the back as they drank from huge beer glasses.  I subconsciously pulled up the collar of my jumper feeling instantly vulnerable. This is so stupid, I should just go wait in the car like Nathan told me to.   

"What will it be honey?" The white haired bearded man behind the bar called out to me. He was a plump man wearing a worn mustard coloured sweater, he had a wrinkled aged face with a creased forehead.  The men all followed his gaze to me, they were all over the age of thirty most of them smoking lung killing cigarettes. They eye'd me like prey,their eyes roaming me like I was on show for them. They made noises of appreciation that they made my stomach curl. 

"um ..." I pause trying to find my voice in the loud room "Actually I was just-"

"Aw come on little thing come and sit with us" One blonde haired male grinned patting the stall beside him. I cringed at the version of Nathan's nickname that came out of his mouth, strange to admit that it only felt right coming out of Nathan's mouth. 

"No I'm fine thanks ..." I said looking around the pub noting it's decor, it was old fashioned and dated with shabby curtains and peeling wallpaper. Pictures of landscapes and old buildings hung from the walls charred with smoke and dust.

The door swung open behind me, breathing in a gust of wind from outside that made me shiver. I jumped in fright at the sound it made when swinging open and bouncing of the stone walls. I turned around to find a young man carrying a pile of heavy looking wood logs he was fair skinned and dark haired, a sharp prominent scar ran harshly across his jaw line.  

"Where do want these?" He called over the noise to the old bartender.

"Throw a couple on the fire lad" He said not glancing up as he served more pints out to the men "Put the rest out the back"

The boy did as he said walking past me to attend to the dying fire, which was burning in the dark and soot covered fireplace.

"Now you look like a whiskey kind of girl" The old bartender quirked an eyebrow "Come take a seat and ignore these idiots-"

A round of "HEY" sounded from the drunk men who flipped carelessly about on their bar stools and fell into each others shoulder. I considered running out to the car instead but now I think about it I am thirsty ...

"Ok" I said hesitantly and walked around to the other side of the bar away from the men, I sat down on a wooden bar stool that looked in the shape to collapse "No whiskey though just water"

"No whiskey huh?" He inquired reaching down under the bar and retrieving a branded glass water bottle which he set in front of me "how old are you?"

"Eighteen" I lied twisting the cap on the water "Have you got a straw?"

He snorted a laugh as if in response "Your not from around here, are you?"

"I knew I'd never seen her before" The blonde haired man from before slurred across the bar "I would of remembered such a beauty, she's nothing like your redhead now is she Fred?"

Fred who was dark skinned with a close shaved haircut grunted in response glaring at the blonde man in fury looking like he's about to pounce. Redhead ... I hope Nathan's careful with her.

"Cool it boys, no more fights under my roof you hear me?" The bartender pointed at the blonde man with a serious glare "Especially you Joe"

"I hear you Chester" He nodded returning back to his beer and mumbling to himself "...loud and clear"