Chapter 10

Tiana POV

No. They have to be lying. They have to be. Please be lying. Please lie to me. I can't...

"Kitty," Tyson whispers and I cry. I break down and crash and every tear I had hoped would stay in pours out of me. But I don't care anymore. I don't. I'm so tired of caring. So tired of getting nothing out of it. I'm so tired of caring and getting hurt in the process.

"I'm so sorry," the lady I assume to be Tyson's mother says. She has long blonde hair that's currently in a ponytail, a slender frame and beautiful hazel eyes. She's beautiful. And I'm not.

"Please tell me it's not true," I whisper to Tyson as tears continue to leave my eyes. He comes closer but I don't want him to. It'll only hurt in the end. Life's just a cycle of breaking and being hurt for me. And I tried so fucking hard to keep my hopes up. But it keeps crashing. It keeps burning. And I crash and burn along with it. 

"I'm sorry," is all he says when he reaches me and fresh tears spill out of my eyes. An ugly sound rips out of me but I don't care. I don't care. I don't care.

"Then... then just lie to me. Please. Just tell me everything's going to be alright," I whisper. I watch as a single tear slips from his eyes and I can't help but feel guilty. I can't help but feel like I destroy everything I touch. I'm poison. And I kill anyone that consumes me.

"I won't lie to you," he whispers and takes my hand in his. I let him.

"Then why did you tell me you care? Why did you say you'll help me?" I say. Doesn't he know that he can't help me? Doesn't he know I'm beyond helping?

"Because I do care and because I do want to help," he says, squeezing my palm softly.

I scoff and it sounds so pathetic even to my ears. "You can't help me. No one can."

"I will," he says and I can't help but believe him. Because he says it like it's a promise. A promise he couldn't bear to break.

"I...I don't know why... but I believe you," I say softly, hesitantly. Like my words might poison him.

He smiles then, and it's so bright I have to fight the urge to look away. Did I cause that? Can I cause anything that isn't darkness and pain and sadness?

"I'm so glad you believe me," he says, like it's a secret. A secret he can only share with me.

"You can live in our guest house," Tyson's mother says. I can't help but feel like I'm not fit to talk to her. Like I'm not worthy.

"I can't," I say simply.

"Why not?" she asks, tilting her head a little to the side.

"Because I don't deserve it," I say and both mother and son frown. They're so similar, so perfect. And I'm just... me.

"Kitty, there's no one more deserving of what we're offering than you are," Tyson says and I laugh sardonically.

"What makes you say that?"

"I can just tell," he says simply, in such a matter-of-fact tone and tears spill out of my eyes because he thinks I'm worth something.

"Kitty?" Tyson asks hesitantly and more tears spill out of my eyes.

"Why do you care, Piggy? How can you care about me when even I don't care about me?" I sob, gripping his palm like a life line. In my situation, he may as well be one.

"How can I not care about you Kitty?" he whispers and slowly, with his other arm, brushes a stray strand of hair from my eyes. And maybe it's the way he does it, like I might break, like I'm too precious to break, like I'm worth something. Or maybe it's the fact that I've never thought a touch could bring comfort. Or maybe it's the way he's looking at me, with so much care. I don't know what it is. I really don't. But whatever it is, it has caused me to pull him down into my hospital bed and hug him while I cry into his chest.