Chapter 22

My father and I walked down the spiral staircase to the dungeon where Zero was being held. Mr Yagari questioned my presence there.

"She's a dear friend to Zero not to mention my daughter and a guardian of the academy. So how is he doing?"

"He seems to have calmed down immensely."

"Oh good. Yagari step outside with me for a minute would you? I'd like to discuss something privately. (Y/n) wait here and keep an eye on zero but don't get too close okay?"

"Sure." I sighed yet again. They left the room which was silent. "Zero?" I asked. He sat on the floor with his head hung low and his hands were cuffed.

"Why did you come here (y/n)?" He asked calmly.

"Because I care too much to leave you down here alone." I admitted. "How do you feel right now?"

"I'm much better now. Thank you."

"So can I sit?" I asked but received no reply. I knelt down before him. "I'm sorry. If I was there I would have been able to help you somehow. You wouldn't be in this state or in the box. Heck you may have been free from your curse. But no. I just had to go and..." I didn't finish my sentence.

"It's not your fault so don't blame yourself. What did happen to you by the way?"

"Something came over me. I don't understand what it was but I ended up going unconscious. I was out for about two days Aido said."

"Aido?"

"Well yeah, after everyone just abandoned me and left me forgotten in that room he ended up finding me and brought me back." I deadpanned. "I don't blame you but Yuki could have got someone to help or something."

"(Y/n)... Why is it that you're always so insistent to stick by me?" He asked looking up at me. "When I am this monster, this disgusting being..."

"Because I care. When I was a kid I had a terrible family, but then after I was taken to the headmaster and you and Yuki came along I felt like I was part of a real family. I don't want to lose any of you." I inched closer looking him dead in the eye. "So when I found out that this was happening to you I made it my job to make sure that doesn't happen. I've been slowly gathering any little bit of information that can help you. I knew about Shizuka. I knew that if you drank from her you'd be saved. But that's not what happened." I looked down briefly before moving closer again and grasping his shoulders. "I will find a way to save you Zero. I'll go to all lengths. I'll do whatever is necessary. I'll miss out on sleeping as much as I have to before I stop. I will immerse myself in old forgotten texts. I'll pry the information out of Kaname Kuran. Even if you end up hating my guts to the point where you want me dead. I will not let you fall Zero, I swear it." The room fell silent once more.

His gaze fell to cold stone ground. "I could never hate you (y/n)." Zero reached up with his hand to grab mine.

"Nothing is impossible. Don't doubt things so easily." I whispered also looking to the floor. I knew that if I somehow revealed myself to him he would probably kill me then and there or abandon me to live my life loathing myself and regretting everything.

"And I don't want you putting your health at risk trying to help me anymore."

"I'll stop when I find an answer."

"You'll stop now." He ordered, staring into my soul and I pouted crossing my arms forcing Zero to let my hand go. "Just let it go (y/n), there's no point both of us losing ourselves."

"I don't care! Don't you give up on me Zero! Don't give up on yourself! You may not realise it but there's people who care. I know how you feel about yourself right now not to mention the state you're in. Yuki told me! She told me... You wanted to kill yourself... I know metaphorically you're in a dark space and you're all alone and you're trapped. Chaining you up alone in a dark place like this is barbaric and doesn't help anyone! Stop saying such pitiful things because whether or not you give me permission I will put an end to your suffering and I will get you out of this locked torture chamber of depression!"