Chapter 8

Natasha's last ballet class ended at 8 P.M. Even though the start of her day was pretty rough, it was a great day. She loved seeing all the enthusiastic faces of her students. She only hoped that they would stay that way as the course advanced. Most of her students were beginners, but she did have a couple of students that already knew the basics. She also had a few that were a bit more advanced. She talked to them and decided to add two extra classes for them. She didn't want to hinder them by keeping them in the beginner's class. She cleaned the classrooms a bit after her last class. She didn't know how she was going to get home. She didn't really like the idea of getting on the subway, at least not yet. She also knew that if she did, she would get a good tongue-lashing from both Clint and Maria. She had forgotten to charge her phone last night, so her phone was already dead. She locked the last classroom and made her way to the front desk to use the phone. She was startled when she saw Daisy was still there.

"Daisy! You scared me! I thought you had already gone home."

"I'm sorry. I was going to go, but I remembered that you didn't bring your car, so I was waiting for you to see if you want a ride."

"Oh, thank you, but I already have a ride," Natasha lied.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure. In fact, my ride should be here any minute."

"I'll wait with you then," Daisy offered.

"No, that's no problem. You must be hungry and tired. Go on ahead and go home. I'll be fine here."

"Ok, thanks. Once you get home, call me."

"I would, but my phone is dead."

"In that case, I'll see you tomorrow if you made home all right," Daisy joked.

Natasha laughed a little. "Yeah, I'll see you tomorrow. Have a good night!"

"You too." With that, Daisy left. Once she was out of sight, Natasha ran to the phone. She didn't like being alone because one could never know what would happen. She quickly dialed Clint's number.

"Detective Barton."

Natasha let out a sigh of relief. "Hey, it's Nat. Can you come pick me up?"

"Hey, Nat. Unfortunately, I can't, but I sent Maria to pick you up. Is she not there yet?"

"No, she's not."

"She should be there soon. If she doesn't show in five, call me, and I'll arrange something else."

"Ok," Natasha said with a little bit of uneasiness in her voice.

Clint obviously heard detected it. "Nat, you'll be fine, ok?"

"I know, but I can't help but think of..."

"Nat, don't think about it. That's in the past."

Just then, Maria walked in. "Maria's here. I have to go."

"Good, and Nat, you'll be fine."

"Yeah, thanks for reminding me."

"You're welcome."

Nat hung up the phone and gathered her things.

"Tasha! You had me worried!" was the first thing Maria told Nat.

"Hello to you too, Maria," Nat said, coolly.

"I mean it! I've been sending you texts and calling you, but you haven't answered!"

"Don't get too excited, Maria. I mean, how can I possibly answer my cell and read all of your texts when my phone is dead?"

"Well, how am I supposed to know that?" Maria countered.