Prologue- Part 1

Steve Rogers was sadly looking out the plane window. He couldn't believe what had just happened to him. He was still having trouble accepting it. He never thought that it would happen to him.

____________________________________________________________

Captain Steve Rogers was occupied in the strategics room planning new attacks on the enemy. He heard someone come into the room.

"Captain Rogers." Steve looked up at the mention of his name.

He stood at attention upon seeing Lieutenant Powell. "Yes, sir."

"At ease." Steve dropped his saluting hand. "You have a phone call waiting for you in the office."

"With all due respect, sir, I'm kind of busy."

"He said it was urgent."

"I'll be right there."

Steve walked nervously down the hall to the office. His mind was in all directions thinking about what was the urgent matter of this phone call. Finally, he arrived at the office.

"Excuse me," he said, trying to keep his voice calm, "I was told I have a phone call waiting."

The secretary looked up. "Indeed you do, Captain. It's the third phone from the left."

"Thank you." He made his way to the phone and picked it up. "This is Captain Rogers."

"Steve, it's Tony."

"Oh my goodness, Tony! I can't believe you! I'm in the middle of a meeting when I'm told I have an urgent phone call in the office! I break up the meeting and worry myself half to death just to find out the genius billionaire is calling me! What can be so important!" Steve huffed out.

"Look, Steve, I'm sorry, but it is important," Tony apologized sullenly.

Steve heard the seriousness of his voice and all the anger drained out of him. "Go on."

He heard Tony take a deep breath. "Man, I really don't want to do this. I don't know how to."

"Just say it, Tony. You're starting to scare me."

"I'm sorry. I really didn't want to be the one to tell you. Gosh, this is so hard."

"Tony, what happened?"

Tony took another deep breath, "All right. I can do this. Steve, I'm so sorry."

"Sorry for what, Stark?"

"I'm so, so sorry."

"Tony, this better not be one of your jokes because this is really scaring me."

"No, Steve, it's not. I don't know any other way to break it to you, so I'll just say it." Tony took a pause to gather his thoughts. "Steve, it's Peggy."

Steve's heart stopped. A million thoughts went through his head. Did he really want to know? He had to know, she is his wife. "What's wrong with Peggy? What happened?" he asked desperately.

"She was in a car accident."

"Is she all right?"

Tony avoided the question for the moment. Steve needed to know how it happened first. "Peggy was driving home from our place. Livy was with her. I don't think they were gone even for five minutes when I got a call saying that she was in an accident caused by a drunk driver. I rushed over to the sight as fast as I could. When I got there, the paramedics and police were already there. And..."

"Stark, is my wife ok?"

"I'm so sorry Steve. The car hit her side directly. She died instantly. I'm so sorry."

Steve felt as if his heart was ripped out of his body. He had just lost the love of his life, his best girl. He didn't know how, but somehow he found the words to ask the next question. "What about Livy?"

"That's the good news. Livy is alive. A little bruised up, but she'll be fine."

Even that piece of good news didn't do anything to take the pain away. Yes, he was thankful that his daughter was still alive, but he knew that nothing would be the same anymore.

"The funeral viewing will take place the day after tomorrow. The funeral will be the day after that. You need to be here, Steve."

"I know, Stark. I will be. I'll take the next flight home. Could you do me a big favor?"

"Anything for you, Cap."

"Could you take care of Livy until I get home? There's no one else to take care of her."

"Of course, Pepper and I will be happy to watch her."

"Thank you."

"No problem. You holding up okay?"

"I'll be fine." Steve knew that eventually would happen, but he knew it would take a long time.

"If you need me to pick you up at the airport, feel free to call."

"Thank you. I should go, you know, to start packing."

"Yeah. I'm so sorry for your loss. I know that you loved her with all your heart."

"Thanks. I have to go."

"Take care, Steve."

"You too." Steve hung up. When he woke up that morning, he wouldn't have imagined something like this would have happened. Steve kept his composure until he got back to his room. Immediately after he closed the door, he broke down in tears. This was going to be one of the hardest things he'd have to do, bury his wife.

____________________________________________________________

A few tears escaped as he finished remembering the awful events of the day before. His mind then drifted to the last time he kissed her, before he got on the plane a few months back to come to Iraq. The last time he said "I love you," a week before on their last phone conversation. He started wondering if he ever said those three words enough times. He wondered if she knew without a shadow of a doubt he loved her. He wondered if she ever regretted getting married a few months before he was shipped out to Iraq.

"You okay?" a voice asked, snapping Steve out of his thoughts.

He looked up to meet Bucky's eyes. "Yeah, Buck, I'm fine."

"You don't look fine to me."

"I just lost Peggy. It hurts so much. I don't even know if I told her how much I love her enough that she wouldn't have a doubt I did. The last time I saw her was months ago. I should have never joined the army. Maybe none of this would have happened."

"Are you just talking about Peggy's death or about my arm as well?"

"I don't know. Both? If I wouldn't have insisted on enlisting you would have never enlisted as well. If I would have never joined, maybe Peggy would have been at home with Livy and me."

"About my arm, that wasn't your fault. Neither was this car accident your fault."

"It is. It's all my fault for following one of the most dangerous dreams." Silence followed because Bucky knew that no matter how much he would tell Steve otherwise, he still felt guilty. "Thanks, Buck for flying out here to accompany me home. I really appreciate it," Steve said, breaking the silence.

"It's no problem. Look, you should rest. You have long days ahead of you."

Steve just nodded and went back to staring out the window.

____________________________________________________________

So this is my first Romanogers story. I'll be posting everyday for the next couple of days because I already have the next chapters written. You can also find this story on AO3 (Archive of Our Own) and FF (FanFiction). My username on AO3 is Captain_America_Black_Widow. My username on FF is SteveRogersNatashaRomanoff.

I also want to give a shout out to loki_fan14 for the lovely book cover!