28

"Your Highness, we have arrived."

The head eunuch slowly stepped forward as the guards opened the gates to the pavilion. Jin passed his token to an elder who was guarding the pavilion as its keeper. Seeing their identities, the man stood, bowing towards the Crown Prince.

"Your humble servant welcomes the Imperial Crown Prince." Jin quickly clasped his hands and bowed towards the older man as a sign of respect.

"No need, no need. I have just come to choose my first cultivation manual. So has my guard." Jia pointed towards Jian , who quickly stepped forward and imitated Jia's fist palm salute.

"Your Highness is allowed to go to the Fourth to Eighth floor, any higher and you will need to receive another token from the Emperor allowing your entrance." Jin smiled towards the older man, not bothering to argue against him. This was his first cultivation manual anyway, there is no need to go over the eighth floor.

A smile broke out across Jin's face as he stepped inside the pavilion.

"Jian, take two guards and look around to see what cultivation method you wish to learn. Choose the one that calls to you." Jia's soft voice pulled Jian from his reverie; he would be able to learn from cultivation manuals. He quickly controlled the tears that threatened to spill out in a desperate attempt to not to lose Jia's face.

Bowing his head, he bit his lip to try and focus on something else, and seeing the older boy walking away, he smiled gently. The sweet smile quickly faded from his face as he took in the guards next to him. The seemingly innocent child disappeared in a quick snap of he fingers.

"Let's go." Jian's voice seemed devoid of emotions. The guards feel fearful at this two-faced child who made them feel like prey. They quickly disregarded that strange notion as they followed behind the youth, because in their opinions, a child could only be so dangerous.

Jin's group slowly made their way towards the staircase, his eyes never focusing on one cultivation manual. After awhile, he felt great disappointment for there there was nothing that really captivated him. Sighing, his steps slightly faltered as he stopped on the sixth floor; this floor seemed different. Bao quickly struggled to release herself, and he felt the room temperature drop. A few of the guards shivered and stared at the Crown Prince in reverence.

"What is it?" Jin's steady voice filled the room, watching as Bao's eyes flickered different shades of blue. Following the moving dragon, Jin's footsteps echoed in the room, followed by his guards as they made their way towards a corner that was hidden away from sight.

Bao stood in front of a jade tablet, her slender tail wrapped around it as she flicked it towards the waiting Jia.

"This one, child." Jin smiled gently as he grabbed the flying projectile.

"Oh?" As a small extract of his soul entered the tablet, it vibrated for a moment and words eventually appeared.

Frost Soul Monarch.

The steps showed how to cultivate the soul into a turbid frosty labyrinth. The people who cultivated this method would gain immense control over the air; stabbing their opponents with ice formed air, or even entrapping them in a frost lair.

With this cultivation method, once could truly become a Monarch. Jin's mind buzzed and his eyes flashed with joy. Not bothering to speak, he took the manual – it seemed no one else had given this old-looking manual a thought. He gently placed his hand on Bao's head, rubbing the cool scales a couple of times.

Jin's small legs took him to the highest floor he would be able to access, and staring at the eighth floor, he decided to choose a movement technique. However, his luck did not seem as great as before for even though there were a couple that suited him, none entranced him. His fingers easily grabbed a few, and sending his soul force into them, he eventually decided on one.

Scared Ghost Steps. Jin smiled slightly; this movement technique was not too bad, it was fast and also silent. The cultivator could turn into a ghostly apparition when they moved, confusing their attackers.

As his group made their way down, they managed to meet back up with Zu Sheng, whose arrogant smirk could annoy the sanest man. Jia's guards didn't bother to bow fully towards the Eldest Prince, slightly bowing before quickly returning to stand beside Jin. Zu Sheng's brow twitched in anger as he looked over at Zu Jia.

"Little brother, I wonder why you are here? You are not old enough to be here, if Imperial Father were to learn of this then..." Zu Sheng looked at Jia, acting as if he was truly worried for the young boy – but the flash of glee in his eyes couldn't be hidden.

Jin's lips twitched slightly; it seemed that Concubine Lin's spies had yet to convey the information from Morning Court. Or if they were, they failed to mention it to Zu Sheng. Jin tilted his head slightly as he took in this 'brother' of his. Since the boy was still young and immature, it was not entertaining to argue with him. Not bothering to speak, Jin's group made their way down the pavilion.

"Zu Jia, let's see if you can stay arrogant forever!" Zu Sheng's teeth clenched as he watched the other's back in anger. That should be him, standing loftily above the heavens, disregarding everyone.

His fingers clenched inside of his sleeve as he turned away.

A/N:

I'm bad at naming cultivation manuals sob,sob

Ed. Note:

Jin sounds like an old man: "You youngsters are no fun to banter with!" Kekeke.

i_am_a_bystander