27

Not knowing who the girl was, he had barely spoken to her but had noticed the sneers and ridicule her sisters threw at her. Jin had decided that he would take her under his wing to keep the vultures away. He would never officially marry her, so as repayment for the future, he would protect her now.

The Emperor's eyes darkened slightly; he could not revoke the marriage contract for that useless young miss unless his son had wanted to do it himself. Now that the boy didn't want to accept this help, he couldn't do much about it. Disgruntled, he decided to make things slightly difficult for his son.

"Request something else then, if you want that boy to become an official Zu, you will have to contribute much, much more."

That smile almost disgusted Jin to death; oi, old man. you think you've won this time around? I will make Jian a Zu, and I will strut that Yang Mi in front of you just to anger you to death.

With that dark promise, Jin decided on another course of action.

"I wish to go to the Cultivation Manual Pavilion." The officials sighed in relief as they thought that Jia had finally stepped back. Happily, they decided to comply with his new request; it would not change much if Jia went to the pavilion to choose a manual a few months earlier than his birth date.

As for the Right Prime Minister, he was staring at Zu Jia in wonder. He had believed the young boy would quickly disregard his eldest daughter for his second; everyone knew that one was jade while the other was a stone.

But a slight smile took over his face, it was good that the Prince didn't quickly choose; it is best to wait for the future, for now was not the time. Both sides would lose face, and if a rumour spread saying that the Prince exchanged one of his daughters for the other and the father had supported it, there would be damage to the images they had made.

But if Yang Mi still could not cultivate in the future, it gives them a proper excuse to end this farce of an engagement.

If Jin heard what the man was thinking, he would have snorted in disgust; who's saving face? Your eldest daughter is shameful; the wicked eel would just stick to me harder regardless of any prior engagements.

"Anyone disagree with his request?" The Emperor coolly stared at the officials as they all shook their heads.

"Your Majesty, I believe his Highness the Crown Prince Zu Jia's request is sound. It is good that he wishes to cultivate faster." After the first official had spoken, the others all nodded their heads in agreement, speaking up for Zu Jia's request.

Smiling slightly, Jin cupped his fist and bowed towards the men. This gratefulness seemed to have won over the originally silent officials, as they too agreed with the rest.

"Silence," The Emperor's steady voice filled the room, silencing the people as they looked towards the throne.

"We agree to your request, you will be given the token after Morning Court."

"Thanking Imperial Father." Bowing towards the Emperor, Jia stood off to the side, once again dragging Jian with him.

The young boy seemed to be shivering, and Jin worried whether the boy would start crying at any moment. His worries seemed to be unfounded as the boy had the largest smile on his face, creating a loveable image to those who had witnessed it.

Jian had been shivering in excitement at the words Zu Jia had spoken; it did not matter whether he became an official Zu in the future, all that mattered was the fact Zu Jia had wanted him to – that he had seen him as an actual brother and that he had wanted to protect him.

He shyly looked at the other boy's back and swore a silent pledge; I will always follow behind you, brother. From now on, he would only live for Zu Jia.

Jin didn't bother to listening to the rest of the Morning Court. His left eye twitched slightly as he looked over at Yao XuánYí. Ah, XuánYí, I owe you an apology. It seemed as if his silent musing was heard by the other man as he looked up from his position, making eye contact with the young boy. Both sides gently smiled at one another.

Morning court ended without a hitch. And soon after, Jin dragged Jian along as he was handed a token that allowed entrance into the Cultivation Manual Pavilion.

Since the Emperor did not allow Jian to become a part of the Imperial Family, he would only be able to enter the first three levels of the pavilion, and be unable to view the Imperial Family's cultivation techniques.

The only people outside of the direct Imperial Family that could access above the 3rd floor was a few officials and guards under the direct management of the Imperial Family. And even then, they had to be given explicit permission from the Emperor.

But it would be easy to say that Jian was his guard. Morning court had just ended, and Jia was sure that none of the day's happening had spread yet. If anyone said anything after Jian chose a cultivation manual, then all he would have to do was forge an identity for the young boy. He could play the 'I am an innocent boy, who could blame me' card and say that he forgot to get the token off the Emperor for Jian.

It would not be too difficult

A/N:

(*o*)/ welcome to the fujoshi den

Ed. Note:

I ran out of witty thing to say about this chapter.

i_am_a_bystander