29. Never Leave (Jetra)

Takes place two months after 'I Don't Want To Lose You.'

[No POV]

Jesse scooped up the gunpowder on the floor and cleaned his sword, then he turned round and began to return to the shelter where Petra was resting. He found it odd of Petra to ask if she could rest, she's always willing to go out there and face off hordes of monsters and other dangerous mobs. Matter of fact, what's worried Jesse even more was how long this has been going on for. She's been significantly weaker and more easily tired out than she usually is, she's been eating more food, and asking for more frequent and longer breaks, but Jesse'd do anything for his girlfriend, no matter what it is.

"For you Petra, anything you need or want. I'm here for you," Jesse said the moment they ran away from Beacontown together. Petra would've kissed him, but they were too busy racing so she gave him a nod and a smile.

Jesse had a few blood stains on his clothes, and he was completely worn out. He had an inventory full of food, water, bones, gunpowder, spider eyes, and even some of Petra's inventory which she asked him to hold for her. Even though it felt like he had a metric ton on his back, he didn't let this bother him; life out on the open road was tough and it's certainly proven to be one of Jesse's toughest challenges, but he had sworn to always be by Petra's side so he could help her find her place in the world (and they got nutty too).

Jesse returned to their camp where Petra had just gotten a fire started and was wrapped up in a blanket. He knelt down, gave her a kiss on the forehead, and handed her a carrot. By the time he had settled down, Petra had devoured the entire carrot. He chuckled at her before munching on a baked potato.

Petra commented, "You and your obsession with potatoes Jesse..." and Jesse laughed too. "If you had to choose between a poisonous potato and some rotten flesh, which would you eat?"

"Hmm, depends. How rotten is the flesh and how poisonous is the potato?" Jesse asked.

"Rotten as Ivor, and as poisonous as wither sickness."

"Gross, I'd rather die of hunger than eat something that'll make me even sicker," joked Jesse. Petra cringed for a moment, but chuckled afterwards.

They continued to chat and joke around until their sides hurt and they were coughing like there was no tomorrow, and by then Jesse had stocked up on too many potatoes and Petra could've sworn her skin had started to go orange from all the carrots, but it was just the fire. Petra was really glad Jesse stuck by his promise and left Beacontown to go adventuring with her, but she was also nervous. Not nervous that she might lose Jesse, but because of his one matter she's been keeping hidden from Jesse since that day in the cabin.

Petra was pregnant.

"Um, Jesse?" began Petra, waking Jesse up from his little doze. "Could you, come closer please? It's a little cold out here."

Jesse nodded, then he shuffled over so Petra could rest in his arms. When she felt how warm he was, she nearly fell asleep, but she managed to stay awake. "Thanks," she whispered.

"Anything for you Petra, just ask," Jesse reiterated, smiling.

After about half an hour, Jesse began to realise Petra was nervous, judging by her nervous breathing and her gentle trembling, plus her racing pulse rate. He made her sit up and asked, "Petra, are you okay? You look really scared. I'm scared too, who knows what's lurking around in these woods? Just freaks me out thinking about-"

"No, Jesse. It's not that I'm nervous because of the monsters- they don't scare me anyway," Petra said back, Jesse's eyebrows raised in wonder, she knew he wanted an answer, so she sighed before saying, "I'm afraid you'll leave me when I tell you that-"