17. Sick Little Sister (Young Lukesse)

A/N Jesse is sixteen years old. Jessica and Lukas are four years old.

[No POV]

*cough cough cough cough!!*

Jesse heard the loud coughing coming from upstairs and quickly dashed into his sister's bedroom where Jessica was laid down in her bed, and coming down with a severe case of the flu. The air conditioner was on at maximum, there was a huge pile of used tissues on the dresser, and Jessica, Jesse's little sister, was looking far worse than she has been for the last two days.

Everyone at Jessica's kindergarten was getting really worried about Jessica, especially a certain blond haired boy named Lukas. But no-one was more worried about her than Jesse, her elder brother whom she had formed such a powerful bond with and loves dearly. Jesse was determined to support his sister through her illness and would do anything just to hear that she will be okay. If you'd like an idea of how determined Jesse is, he got several class detentions because he didn't have the time to do his homework because he was sacrificing it all to tend to little Jessica.

"Jessica! Are you okay? I heard you coughing, what's happening?" stammered Jesse, pressing two fingers against her neck and feeling her temperature which was just short of being able to boil water. Jessica sneezed into a tissue and turned her head to face Jesse.

"N-no Esse, I feel vewy tewwible," she muttered poorly.

"There there now..." whispered Jesse softly, stroking Jessica's cheek and tucking her in the bed. "I know it's bad right now, but it will get better soon, trust me." Jessica wanted to believe that, he was her brother after all, and she knows she can trust him. But she couldn't help but feel hopeless.

"It's not going to get better," said Jessica, sniffling. "I'm going to die, I'm going to die big bwuther!" Suddenly, she started to cry her eyes out. She darted forward and hugged Jesse's arm, weeping loudly while her tears soaked into the fabric of his shirt. Jesse, suddenly overtaken by guilt, gently took Jessica into his arms and kept her in a warm embrace until she stopped crying.

"Ssh... it's okay... you're not going to die Jessica, I won't let you die. You're my sister, and I love you too much to let you go before you've even started school. ~It's okay, take your time, I'll wait..."

"N-no, I'm going to die, I'm not going to get better, I'm not going to see my fwends again!" shrieked Jessica, hugging Jesse tighter.

"Jessica, listen to me: You're not, going, to die. Understand? You're not going to die. You will get better, and I know you will," Jessica's curious emerald eyes looked up at Jesse.

"H-how? How do you know I won't die? You're not me." Jesse always loved it when Jessica looks at him inquisitively, it really brings out her innocence and naïve nature. Jessica sat down on her bed and Jesse took her hands, then he spoke.

"Because you're my sister. And my sister is a strong girl, she never gives up, and she never ever lets me down." Jesse brought his face closer to Jessica. "Promise your big brother that you'll never give up. I want you to promise me that no matter how sick you become, you'll never stop fighting. Promise me Jessica, promise me, my dear sister."

"O-okay big bwuther, I pinky pwomise I will never stop fighting. I pwomise," replied Jessica, holding her tiny pinky finger up. Jesse gently wrapped his pinky around hers and shook it, then he tucked her back into her bed and planted a gentle kiss on her forehead.

"Hang in there sis. I love you very much," said Jesse, opening the door.

"I wuv you too Esse!" squealed Jessica. Then Jesse left the room and Jessica went to bed. She kept reminding herself of her brother's advice, then she eventually fell into a comfortable deep sleep... until someone woke her up later.