1. Chemical Burn (Lukesse)

[Lukas]

There's this really cool girl in our year that I've, well, had a huge huge and undying crush on ever since I met her at the start of high school. Her name was Jesse Parkinson and she's one of the cutest and the most beautiful girls I've ever laid eyes on. Whenever she brushes past me, I hear her giggling quietly as she goes past me. Whenever she winks at me, my cheeks burn up and my nerves fry up due to the congestion. Whenever I see those shimmering green eyes, my retinas burn to ashes.

I think it's safe to say, Jesse is so beautiful, if she ran for Miss World, she'd be disqualified for being professional.

My crush on her has dragged me to millions of awkward situations where I just wanted to chat with her. Aiden was like my wingman, playing it cool and teaching me how to make girls like Jesse like you.

"It's all about patience man. You can't just expect them to suddenly want you, you have to make them like you." Aiden once whispered into my ear during Algebra II. I was trying my absolute hardest to make notes and retain Aiden's advice, but the trouble is that the person sitting in the desk to my left is none other than that stunning raven-haired girl Jesse, whom I would be glancing at so many times, people around me would think I am having neck spasms.

But alas, I have yet to learn if Jesse has feelings for me as much as I have feelings for her. She's been pulling out the eyes of every boy she passes, heck there have been rumours that some even, eurgh... drooled as she rounded a corner... weirdos...

Even though we sit next to each other in Organic Chemistry, we try to- or as far as I am concerned, avoid eye contact and pretend that the other doesn't exist. I know I'm wrecking my chances, but I'm just extremely shy and can't bundle up the courage to spark up even a simple conversation about something like the weather or celebrities with girls like her.

And then came that fateful day...

Our first and second period of the day was Organic Chemistry. Nothing could prepare me for what the teacher had planned for the class.

"As you can see in front of you, kindly set up by our technician, are the apparatus you require to carry out an acid/alkali titration. You will require a partner for this experiment. I was going to let you choose, but last time that happened, we only had 10 minutes actual practical time so whoever is sat to your left hand side will be your partner for the next 30 minutes. Remember to wear safety goggles and pour the acid carefully." instructed Mrs. James the chemistry teacher. When I turned to my left and saw the raven-haired girl none other than Jesse, I felt my face burn red as I flushed.

"Oh! Um, hey..." I tried sounding enthusiastic when Jesse turned to face me with her magnificent green eyes.

"You're, Lukas, right?" Jesse asked, narrowing an eye and clicking her fingers. I nodded silently and she clasped her hands.

"And you're Jesse." She nodded. "Well, shall we get on with it?" She nodded again.

The next couple of minutes has been rather boring, unexciting and definitely awkward. Jesse performed the experiment while I observed and recorded the results, meanwhile everyone was watching us avoid and not say one word to each other. We finished the practical so quickly that if it weren't for Jesse's sudden scream, I'd have fallen asleep.

AAAAAGH!!!!!!

I tossed my pen into the air (which somehow landed into a burette filled with acid) and fogged my goggles as I jolted awake from my daydream trance. I quickly turned to face Jesse, helplessly gasping and screaming whilst clutching her hand.